HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: someone asked me ....so here are THE FLOATS i like

Post Thanks / Like

Default someone asked me ....so here are THE FLOATS i like

i float fish alot and typically convert folks from the traditional forms of float ketchn to the way i do it . I ONLY use a fixed / pinch on float until i am presenting the bait deeper than around 7 to 8 foot deep . much past that it gets rather difficult to cast unless you use a really long rod and i dont own anything over 8 foot . and its time to pitch it or vertical jig it anyway .
    mind you i almost never use minnows and this dont apply to the minnow folks ....
    the sensitivity when the float is directly connected to the line offers a much quicker recognition of a crappie bite and is also much better on the hook set as well . many folks will argue this point and some of the very best crappie fishermen out there will tell you a slip float is the way to go . i can show you much better than i can tell you and have converted many a REALLY good crappie fisherman in this area .
    i promised i would show what i use and that is why i posted this thread .
    below are the floats i carry and i use them in different situations for different reasons , sometimes i want to go with a cheap set up because i know i cant get the ones i lose back . sometimes i use the balsa to get longer casts and typically fish them in more open waters .
    and you must match your jig weight to the float ......and yes it matters ....no more than 1/2 of the float or slightly less should be above the water line ...to much buoyancy is not good !
    disclaimer time : none of the manufactures of these floats have ever given me a single free item ...
    just so you know i am NOT advertising ......
    this is the real deal .....and the wood one is a bass pro brand ...the others are Thill and Comal
    there is truly a method to my madness AND its called i dont like fishing .....if ya get my drift ......
    as always have a great day
    p.s. note no weighted floats in the mix either ...NOT good ....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes Dave and Lynn LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That what my wife uses. The gotta be good.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the nice article! Makes me feel good that I'm doing something right, I'm right with you. I'm a take it easy, one rod crappie fisherman. I have a great G. Loomis 7' Ultra Light setup and I love watching that bobber for the slightest little tick. I'm 73 and find now days I do better concentrating on one rod then trying to handle 2 or 3 rods at one time. Less tangles and more fish!!!
    Likes metalcutterr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Well ill be 81 in about 10 days and can still do 2 of some things at the same time.
    It could be chew gum and walk, with gum that won't stick to my teeth, if it was a short walk.
    Ive done almost no bobber fishing other than for tarpon. But I am anticipating doing some so I have been buying bobbers. But after reading this I'm going to throw most of them away and start over.
    I'm assuming that since your obviously using jigs, you would be missing strikes without closly
    monitoring the line and setting the hook quickly. Which is the reason you've decided on using just one rod.
    But my question would be, wouldn't a dead stick rod with a bobber and minnow or other bait combination work in conjunction with the hand held rod?
    In the keys while on the reef freelining for yellowtails, holding the rod is imperative for success.
    But we always had a dead stick rod with a bait sitting on or near the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

It would work very well and use to do it a lot! But now days I always seem to get messed up before long. On very calm, slow days I may end up with two out there until something starts to happen. Would you believe on a calm 70 degree day, I have been observed with my anchor pins set in a shady cove, with no rod in the water, leaning back and meditating about my next move. Catch and release days eliminates filleting after a long hard day!!!
    Likes prefers shiners, Sims, zig zag LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you on the style of float you chose. I'm not much on the Comal version cuz they're light and i like to stay back a bit. The Thill are a bit more money and are built to a specific weight of jig. Once you figure that out any brand will get the job done. What I like about this style of float is the ability to detect a lift bite, when they gently take the jig on the rise and there is no thump to be transmitted to the line or the float. What happens is that with the weight of the jig removed the float lays over on it's side, set the hook. Best version around and the Balsa is easy to cast with just enough weight to make the rod behave and not overdo it.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    That what my wife uses. The gotta be good.
    Yep. You gotta use what the wife uses or you end up like this
    Name:  Carol and RC.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  52.7 KB
    RCC's Crappie Eradication Service
    Eliminating your slab problems one fish at a time
    For free estimates give us a call at O U 812.
    Likes Cane Pole, Drtodd10 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I fish mostly bobbers and one spot I fish demands I cast long distance. When the wind is creating nice wave action on this particular lake it sometimes is hard to detect the bite on these long casts,. So when I discovered the rocket bobber it worked wonders in this spot. I have a collection of all kinds of bobbers I carry, ( fish all from bank ) and the rocket bobber is the most expensive . I enjoy bobber fishing so I can relate to this article.
    Philippians 4; 13, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

chaunc is online now 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've fished dozens of style bobbers and none of those you use are for me. I do just fine with my pear shaped comals. Your method isn't the best or only method that produces numbers. Those springs suck on 4lb test line.
    Likes Cane Pole, blue-jig LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chaunc View Post
    I've fished dozens of style bobbers and none of those you use are for me. I do just fine with my pear shaped comals. Your method isn't the best or only method that produces numbers. Those springs suck on 4lb test line.
    Yep, and can run the pear shaped ones like a popping cork as well. And can see lift bites if weighted properly, suddenly the whole cork pops up. Love them pear floats. And Skeetbum sure can't argue they work
    Likes glasseyes, skeetbum, chaunc LIKED above post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast