Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tying Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tying Jigs

I was wanting to start tying my own jigs. What does it take to get started? Does it matter if I buy a cheap vise or a more expensive one? Should I just buy a kit from Cabela's? I'm looking for any tips.
    "Those who will trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither" Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

I started with the basic kit from BPS. It is addicting so you will add to and upgrade as you continue to get into it. Cabela's has a basic kit also.
    Jerry Hamon
    Van Alstyne, Texas
    http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w142/texascrappiefisherman/MSKFCPRES_zps568e5f40.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Be sure to get a decent vise. The thread on my first one years ago became stripped way too easily. Texascrappiefisherman is right, it can be addictive but a good activity in the winter when you can't get out to fish!
    Start with the larger fly hooks getting the basics, then can advance to the tiny guys.
    Good luck!
    the trick to catch that finnicky speck....
    gently set the hook just before the peck

Post Thanks / Like

the bass pro jig tying kit is a good low cost way to start. I have tied a few thousand jigs on the vise that came with it.

Post Thanks / Like

getting started from scratch can tax one's budget if you don't put some thought into it. I remember when I started and I wanted to buy everything I saw without knowing if I would use it or not, since I hadn't a clue what it took to make a crappie jig. I bought all kinds of fly tying materials that weren't needed to make crappie jigs. I bought the expensive vices, all kinds of feathers and hair, exotic threads, dubbing materials, chenille, spools of floss, and various other items that never were used in the jig making process.

first decide what type of jig you want to make. That will tell you what materials you'll need. The "all hair" jig is the simplest to make, requires less materials, and is the easiest to master. The chenille bodied jigs will require different kinds of materials and a lot of practice to master.
    you can review posts by Skiptomylu and Slab Slayer 1 and look at their handiwork. Both fellows make excellent chenille bodied jigs. For pictures of the "all hair" jigs you can review some of my posts. Other folks have posted pictures, but at this moment i can't recall their handles.

Hope this helps. Come back with questions of we can help you more . lol

There are other web sites that get into more of the techinical aspects of the actual fly tying that you might go to for help. Goggle can put you on these.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is how I started,and I still use this stuff. This is the poor mans jig tying kit. I only tie about 20 or thirty jigs a year. I use these jigs on one paticular lake that I fish maybe five to ten times in the spring. I use plastic bodies every where else.
    They aint to pretty, but them crappie love em.

Attachment 8777

Attachment 8778
    Last edited by england; 04-03-2008 at 07:14 PM.
    Biguns only:D

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a few hair jigs that I tied.I bought my kit from E Bay and I got all the tools I needed for like 21 bucks... Good luck and hang in there..It's really fun especially when you boat a big slab on a jig that you made yourself!!:D
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all the info. Those jigs you all tied look so good, how long will it take before I can tie that good? I mean does it take a long time to get the hang of it?
    "Those who will trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither" Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Miller
    thanks for all the info. Those jigs you all tied look so good, how long will it take before I can tie that good? I mean does it take a long time to get the hang of it?
    That is something no one can really answer for you as some never get it right. Some people don't like doing it, because of the small detailed work and don't have the patience.

I love doing it and was lucky enough that God gave me the talent to learn it very fast. I worked very hard though and put in a lot of hours. I am still learning new things all the time.

As far as tools you should take you time and really understand what is the difference in all the different vises out there. I uses a true rotary vise and I think the cheapest good rotary vise is about $80. I also have one of the cheap kind too, but I didn't use it that long and I like being able to rotate the jigs to see all sides. Really think about if you really want to do this and then take time to research what kind of tools and how much you are willing to spend in time and money.

Not everyone will buy the amount of materials I have, but this can become pretty expensive. Heck I just try to sell enough to keep buying the materials I want. At least that is as far as I have been able to accomplish. A profit is still a long way off. There are a lot of stuff out there you can use for tying jigs and flies. Remember it's a bit addictive also.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!
    Likes timbob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Okay Miller - here's hardcore, specific advice; let's find out if you're gonna like tying jigs!

Go to WalMart and buy some plain leadhead jigs. The walk back to the craft section and buy a pack of marabou feathers. Now you're out $2-3 total. Now go back to the sewing section and get a spool of any kind of thread if you don't have any. No need to worry about painting heads - trust me on this. If you can't afford factory leadhead jigs. just crimp a split-shot onto a regular hook; presto - instant jighead.

Got any clear fingernail polish? If not, go to the Dollar Store and pick some up or grab it while your're at Wally World. So now you've got less than $5 invested - less if you already have thread and fingernail polish (your head cement). Check all the MacDonalds Happy Meals for those little dolls with pink or blue hair; there's some craft hair. Raid the Christmas tree decorations for gold and silver tinsel. Man you've got a ton of materials already LOL. Oh - got a dog? Snip some of his fur! Do you have access to chickens? If so, get some hackle feathers from around the neck and dye them with RIT or Kool-Aid...or use them natural. Now do like "England" did in the above post and get your ViseGrips rigged some way to hold the hook.

Finally, go to YouTube and do a search for tying jigs and you'll see at least 3 great videos on how to do it (posted by a Crappie.com member). I believe it's 'Ded' something-or-other.
    Do your research on this forum for a ton of links to basic fly-tying . Make a few to get the feel of it and if you ruin them, cut the thread and feathers off with a razor blade and do 'em over. Good luck, and hope this helps you get started!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast