Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Why O Why Would A Guy Drive So Far To Catch A Crappie When...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why O Why Would A Guy Drive So Far To Catch A Crappie When...

...right over the hood of that 'Burban is Herrington Lake? Off to West Point for a few days with the crew hoping the Georgia/Alabama addicts ain't snatched 'em all up yet. Wish me luck.

"Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket ?"
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

.... Herrington Lake is going to be lost on most people reading this thread, except those of us that "fished it most all their lives". Not that many people have experienced a lake where you can take two steps off the bank and be in >80fow.

My question would be why you're driving all the way to West Point, when they're slayin'em at Taylorsville and coming home with a 15 fish limit of mostly 11-13" fish

All the same .... luck2ya at West Point

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    .... Herrington Lake is going to be lost on most people reading this thread, except those of us that "fished it most all their lives". Not that many people have experienced a lake where you can take two steps off the bank and be in >80fow. My question would be why you're driving all the way to West Point, when they're slayin'em at Taylorsville and coming home with a 15 fish limit of mostly 11-13" fish All the same .... luck2ya at West Point
    :-) It's become an annual thang, CrappiePappy. I'll be hitting our waters when I get back. Just retired and have nothing to do but fish and mow grass. Er...and drive. I'd like to start doing some of the KY meet N greets now that I can have a schedule. After some 5 million miles herdin' a Peterbilt around the US of A, it's time to focus on the things that matter. :-)

"Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket ?"

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KiK View Post
    :-) It's become an annual thang, CrappiePappy. I'll be hitting our waters when I get back. Just retired and have nothing to do but fish and mow grass. Er...and drive. I'd like to start doing some of the KY meet N greets now that I can have a schedule. After some 5 million miles herdin' a Peterbilt around the US of A, it's time to focus on the things that matter. :-)
    Congrats on the retirement (I'm in year 4 of mine)

And, yes .... please do try and make it to the Spring Fling at Green on Apr 16th !!

Hey, I can't say too much about "going on an adventure" when there's good lakes right here at home. I make one or two trips to E. Tenn each year, myself.
    Likes Centerliner LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

I miss Herrington...

2@low8 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Never fished Herrington but when I was in college we would jump off the bridge into the lake.

We were invincible ats that age......and stupid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2@low8 View Post
    Never fished Herrington but when I was in college we would jump off the bridge into the lake.

We were invincible ats that age......and stupid.
    You weren't alone !! There were lots of people that thought that was a good idea back in those days. I was never one of them, though, especially after a feller jumped off the cliffs in that area and hit a underwater rock column & paralyzed himself. Besides not being a very good swimmer, and a little on the acrophobic side, I learned from some local marina owners that "scuba dived" the lake that the water temps got VERY VERY COLD at any appreciable depth ... not to mention the water clarity is usually heavily stained.

Post Thanks / Like

Are there any crappie to speak of in Herrington? I remember when I was a kid that my dad, uncle, and uncles stepdad would go to Herrington to shoot gar with bows. I vaguely remember my unc's stepdad holding the state tecord for gar back in the late 50's.

Post Thanks / Like

5 million miles!!! You have seen the country and I bet you have some tales to tell. Congrats on your retirement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t00lmanii View Post
    Are there any crappie to speak of in Herrington? I remember when I was a kid that my dad, uncle, and uncles stepdad would go to Herrington to shoot gar with bows. I vaguely remember my unc's stepdad holding the state tecord for gar back in the late 50's.
    Yes, there are plenty of Crappie in Herrington Lake ... it's just a difficult lake to pattern, for me anyway, even though I've fished it for over 60yrs. I still fish there, maybe once a year, but that's night fishing for Bass in June.
    And there's still a hefty population of Gar ... several of which I've tangled with over the years.