Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Anyone still using the Beetle spin?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone still using the Beetle spin?

I was rooting around in my garage and attic today, and came across some old tackle boxes. One had a bunch of beetle spins and some 3" senkos in it.
    I used to have a lot of fun with that little beetle spin, I seem to remember catching more bream than crappie but it's been a while.
    I wonder if anyone still uses these classic old baits for crappie.
    Likes chaunc LIKED above post

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use them but mainly for bream . The roadrunner/pony head has always been my favorite of this type lure .

Post Thanks / Like

I still use them when Crappie and WB are feeding IN schools of Shad....I put a jighead and swimbait on the Beetle Spin, and fish in the schools.
    IMHO, the extra thump makes my swimbait stand out in the Malay.
    You can still get the Johnson Beetles at Walmart!
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep Johnson still makes them......and they are a major sponsor of C.C......just click on their logo on bottom of page.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have 3 or 4 new ones still in the tackle bag. I use them fishing at ponds mostly, catch an assortment of bream, bass and crappie. If you catch the crappie just right in a pond you can't keep them away from it.. I've only had luck with the classic black body with the chartreuse stripes on the back. It is one of my favorite small spinners for this type of fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

most definitely! classic fish catchers. just like the "plowjocky"( pre-rigged three hook worm). they catch everything from suckers to pike.

Post Thanks / Like

The smallest ones work for me, Crappie, bream, bass. Add a nibble and they are great.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the "beetle" but rarely use the "spin".

Post Thanks / Like

I use different size beetle spins with a variety of jigs and bodies. When vertical jiggin I like roadrunners.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!! Since I make my own inline spinners, I also make the beetle spin frames. I pour my own jigs so I can use whatever I want. Had a guy on an old site "Ultralight fishers" who made me some in cotton candy, bright pink with green and purple glitter and some chartreuse pepper.

Just have to make sure you have a few different wire sizes depending on the size jig hook - the smaller hook sizes I use a .024 wire, and whatever type of blade I want.