Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not dumb, just never knew!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not dumb, just never knew!

I was once told that "the only stupid question is one not asked". I swear I read somewhere, something about difference in 2-stroke oils to use in our outboards. Sure, I understand there are different brands, and I guess if I think about it, there is viscosity breakdown. But, wherever I read this, people kept mentioning things about "this oil works with the specs of your motor". I have a late-90s Mercury 75 Optimax, two stroke (that mixes the oil itself, and has the reservoir under the cowling of the motor). I have always used the Penzoil 2 Stroke Oil that you can buy at Walmart. Am I ok with this? I don't mind spending a little more to protect the investment that a motor is!

Please help with this! Sorry if this is a crazy question...just never thought this was an issue! Only had the motor for 2 years now!

mrwillis

Post Thanks / Like

Keep using what you are using. Your engine hasn't blown up yet. Most oil sales is based on advertising and hype. If this post sits here long enough someone from Royal Purple or Amsoil will justify why you need to spend $40 a gallon instead of $13. To each his own.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Johnson/Evinrude oil in my Evinrude, but I did use some Pennzoil once because it was given to me. It seemed to produce more smoke than the Johnson/Evinrude oil.

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you referring to the direct injection motors ? oil for it is a little higher .

Post Thanks / Like

I used to run nothing but quicksilver but now I run the supertech from walmart and have for the last three years with no problems.
    Likes "D" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I run the pennzoil in my sea doos and in the jon boat i used to have. Never any problems. Just got a new boat with a 4 stroke motor so happy dont have mess with the oil no more

Post Thanks / Like

I was using quicksilver 2 stroke oil an a friend told me to switch to 4 stroke. I have a 50
    HP mercury 2007. The difference I can see is the 4 stroke is the color of oil an the2 stroke was blue....

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Read post #5. Gives a real good list of the right oils recommended by Tohatsu which the OPTI is basically same motor.
    Optimax and TCW III oil - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Clipper. Are you using four stroke oil in your 2 stroke?

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Any that are TCW3 are okay. I had the 90 optimax and I used walmart or yamaha. Found quicksilver expensive and could get yamaha cheaper at a local dealer. But never had a problem with the walmart oil. Same specs. Remember it all starts out underground as rotten dinosaurs. lol
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast