Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: I posted this on the MS board. Thought you all would like it

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I posted this on the MS board. Thought you all would like it

I was fishing a small state owned lake last spring. I'd just put in and went around into the first cove past the ramp. A guy in a bass boat was fishing the mouth of the cove. I heard a loud crash and scraping sound. The bass boat guy said Oh Sh#% and took off toward the ramp. I fired up the motor and took off after him. Another guy was pulling a fiberglass fish ski combo out of the lake and didn't connect the winch after pulling onto the trailer.He made it about halfway up the ramp when the boat came off the trailer and landed in the ramp. He was standing there cussing when bass boat guy and I arrived. The three of us were able to lift the front of the boat onto the back end of the trailer. Two of us then went to the back and pushed the boat while the driver cranked the winch. We were finally able to get the boat far enough onto the trailer that it wasn't hitting the ground. The driver then backed slowly into the water and we cranked it the rest of the way on. He left a fiberglass skid mark half way up the ramp. He just said thanks and took off. Bass boat guy and I stood there laughing our butts off after he left.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Haste makes waste

I have had some of the most interesting times of my outdoor life just sitting in my boat and watching people launch and land their boats. I have also had some of the most frustrating times WAITING for people to launch or land when I really want ON THAT WATER.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by speckhunter
    I was fishing a small state owned lake last spring. I'd just put in and went around into the first cove past the ramp. A guy in a bass boat was fishing the mouth of the cove. I heard a loud crash and scraping sound. The bass boat guy said Oh Sh#% and took off toward the ramp. I fired up the motor and took off after him. Another guy was pulling a fiberglass fish ski combo out of the lake and didn't connect the winch after pulling onto the trailer.He made it about halfway up the ramp when the boat came off the trailer and landed in the ramp. He was standing there cussing when bass boat guy and I arrived. The three of us were able to lift the front of the boat onto the back end of the trailer. Two of us then went to the back and pushed the boat while the driver cranked the winch. We were finally able to get the boat far enough onto the trailer that it wasn't hitting the ground. The driver then backed slowly into the water and we cranked it the rest of the way on. He left a fiberglass skid mark half way up the ramp. He just said thanks and took off. Bass boat guy and I stood there laughing our butts off after he left.
    It was nice to meet you that day speck.
    Just kidding I have seen that a couple times at Shawnee Bend both times city slickers so it was even funnier.
    I am not bashing city slickers however both times they came barreling in and acted like they owned the place.
    The second one I even noticed that it was not latched and told them he said do worry this is not my first time. After I walked over and asked was that the first time. And chuckled. Yes I helped the a$$ wipe.

Post Thanks / Like

Come to think of it I seen it at Bucksaw also.

Post Thanks / Like

Pourin a little salt in the wound huh Ed....good job.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite memory of a 'yuppie city boy' was watching this guy try to back his boat about fifty times, I'm not exaggerating, as I thought he will never get the boat in the water. He finally got the boat in the water, tied it off, then took off like a rocket to park the truck and trailer. When he got back the boat had ripped the little tie off rope as it sank. He forgot to put the plug in and it simply filled up with water and rolled sideways and partially sank. Fortunately for him this was a busy weekend and a bunch of guys got together and finally got it on the trailer and out of the water. His comment after he had pulled the boat out of the water was "I'm taking this cheap piece of junk back" then he jumped in and drove off. He never even said thanks. I have no idea where his brain was.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by billr12
    My favorite memory of a 'yuppie city boy' was watching this guy try to back his boat about fifty times, I'm not exaggerating, as I thought he will never get the boat in the water. He finally got the boat in the water, tied it off, then took off like a rocket to park the truck and trailer. When he got back the boat had ripped the little tie off rope as it sank. He forgot to put the plug in and it simply filled up with water and rolled sideways and partially sank. Fortunately for him this was a busy weekend and a bunch of guys got together and finally got it on the trailer and out of the water. His comment after he had pulled the boat out of the water was "I'm taking this cheap piece of junk back" then he jumped in and drove off. He never even said thanks. I have no idea where his brain was.
    I figure you probably don't want to know where his brain was. Some where that the sun don't shine. People should be given a common sence test before being allowed to own a boat.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Another launching story.
    Living in Albuquerque, my wife and I went north about 40 miles to fish Cochiti Lake (good lake for catfish, trout, northern and small crappie). The concrete ramp there allows about 6 boats to launch at the same time (very wide) but there is no dock to tie the boat to when launched. Well, I ask my wife whether she would rather stay in the boat while I backed down the trailer or whether she wanted to back it down. She said that 'anyone can back the trailer down to the water'. So I went down by the water while she started to back it down. The next 15 minutes and after 7 or 8 tries, people began to gather to watch, and she was in tears. She gets embarrased easily. Not a good way to start a day's fishing!

For another 'launching' story:

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=32961
    the trick to catch that finnicky speck....
    gently set the hook just before the peck

Post Thanks / Like

it is almost worth the price of admission to watch at the loz ramps as the so called experts try to back down to load or unload their stuff,some are plume(sp) sideways in their attempts
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I made a comment at LOZ camp. I should start a business on teaching people to back up trailers. I was in awe at this individual trying to put his boat into the camp site. After 10 minutes, I walked on past. Next morning, I saw he finally got it in there. He pulled forward into the spot. I wanted to stick around until the next morning to see if he could back it out as poorly.
    Sometimes ramp issue are not funny. My tourney partner and his Dad were fishing the Illinois River and came up on a boat floating down the river with no passenger. After further investigation, they found the owner holding on for dear life on the transom. This was spring and there was still ice flows coming down. They got him in their boat and took him back to the ramp where his trailer was still in the water with the Truck Running. The put the boat on and the guy took off without saying thanks. Too frozen to be appreciative.

Best of luck on the Ramps this year my friends.
    Standing in the Gap