Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Slider works / weedless or not?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Slider works / weedless or not?

I fished a Crappy Slider yesterday, casting, and caught 12 during really crappy weather, cold/wind. Oops, a pun! It was 4 species of fish, lol. Bass, crappie, bream, barfish. The latter being called sand bass, white bass, striper, etc. It's not a striper, these small guys don't get that big. The barfish had a white substance coming out of it, I assume it was sperm.

So, the Slider works. I'm impressed. The paddle tail seems to work at low speed. Funny, for bass, I have been using the Keitech Swing Impact Fat a lot, a very similar action bait, just larger. But it is uber soft, tears up easily. I have had a heckuva time finding a hook/jig to use so that it hangs right (straight) and to give me a good hookup ratio. I've been frustrated with that, especially the small size, 2.8". It does catch bass! Anyway, it's about time I finally tried the Slider.

The package I got was a dozen or so plastics and a jighead. These were regular jigs, not weedless. I did get hung up several times on underwater stumps and I never broke off, I went to get it, because I had only one Slider jighead.

I love fishing weedless due to stumps around here. Today, I came across a video of Charlie Brewer and rigging his Slider with his weedless jighead. I saw this last year, it only took me a year to come back around, lol. So, I want to try his weedless jighead. I always prefer to use an open hook jig because I cannot stand to not stick a fish after a bite, but we have so much cover around here, I usually fish weedless. I have not found a good setup for weedless other than Texas-rigged. I have tried the weedless hooks/jigs with the single metal small diameter stick-like thing that is angled ahead of the hook. I have also tried the metal weedless guards that are made of flimsy wire that curves around the hook barb. Nothing has worked as well as T-rigged. Does anyone fish weedless and find good results?

I also bought some of these 'weed guards' last year and fished a little bit with it, I need to try it again. I can't recall my results, lol. It looks like it ought to work well. Link -- Bass Pro Shops Hook Guard for Weedless Lures | Bass Pro Shops: The Best Hunting, Fishing, Camping & Outdoor Gear

I do not see but one size of Charlie Brewer Crappie Sliders, 1.5". I see that Strike King Slabalicious comes in a 2" version. The CB 1.5" size, obviously, catches fish. But I also want to try a 2" slider. If anyone knows of a good one other than the Strike King, let me know.

For bass fishing, 'finesse fishing' had become quite popular. I guess it just means downsizing your rig and the size of your baits to go for quantity rather than lunkers. Which I like. Also, the 'ned rig' is popular. It's basically a straight grub, maybe 2.5" to 3" long. Various techniques, including just reeling it in slow. I am curious if a straight grub type bait works well for crappie, and which model. As opposed to a curly tail or paddle tail. I favor an action tail, but sometimes, maybe one with no action will work better. I am going to order some Trout Magnets to try.

All comments welcome about fishing with sliders/grubs/whatevers. (EDIT: I am open to any size, large or small that catches!)
    Last edited by livemusic; 04-02-2016 at 09:01 AM.
    ~~~
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I've been a slider fan for decades. Other than my dad, nobody has taught me more about jig fishing than the late, great Charlie Brewer.

For crappie fishing, I use the spider slider head if I'm fishing really snaggy areas. Other times, I use a non-weedless head.

If you want to try a straight-tail bait, just buy some of the Brewer 4" worms and cut them down to whatever size you want.

4" Slider Fishing Worms Finesse Do-Nothing

I also highly recommend Charlie's book. IMO, it's the best book ever on jig fishing.

Charlie Brewer Sr. on Slider Fishn'
    Likes livemusic LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Sliders work for me, The little 1" does well in the early spring when the new hatch comes out. The weedless version works but you need a stiff tip and a quick snap to set hook. My favorite way to use them is Long Line trolling. They are very good for this.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to ask, what colors do you guys like? Yesterday, I used a combo that was kind of watermelon with black flakes with a chartreuse tail. I didn't see it on the Charlie Brewer site. Other than the tail, it is similar to my favorite bass color for soft plastics around here -- watermelon red. Except it didn't have red flakes, they are black, lol.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention, the Charlie Brewer Crappie Slider seemed to hold up real well. I fished for several hours and caught several fish on one bait. And got hung up in trees and such, lol. Lots of full-grown Cypress trees in the water and a 20mph wind coupled to the knowledge that you usually have to get close to the tree is not kind!
    ~~~
    Bill