Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ohio River creeks 3/29 - 3/30

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ohio River creeks 3/29 - 3/30

Went fishing in the creeks around Union, KY for a few hours Tues, then Wed. About 3 hours each day.

River is up a couple of feet. Tuesday it was very, very muddy. Fishing was terrible. Just weren't biting. Managed 1 fish.
    We hit another nearby creek yesterday and did better but not great. Water still muddy - a little less so. Managed about a dozen crappie. A few nice size ones, including this 14" seen below. She was ready to pop with eggs. Also caught a number of small ones.

Caught all my fish yesterday on a Bobby Garland Stroll'R GumDrop. 1st time I used it and they liked it. (I was vertical jigging, not trolling, but I think they liked the vibration.)

Looking forward to getting back out the next couple off weeks. Yesterday, I was probably 1.5 miles up creek. Some of the water up there is still about 12-14' in depth. This year, I still hope to figure out how to catch crappie in the summer. Seems like I do great until about July 1 and then I catch nothing but dinks until fall again in the creeks. Does anyone else ever catch nice crappie further up the creeks in the summer, or is it your experience that they all vacate the creeks for the river in the warm months?

mbk

Name:  20160330_144748_16.jpeg
Views: 452
Size:  50.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish...Tbone is the river expert on here.

Post Thanks / Like

J.I.L. <*)}}}><

Post Thanks / Like

Okay ...so maybe it's Yates
    My guess is they are still in the creeks

Post Thanks / Like

No! a guy called faststick #1
    J.I.L. <*)}}}><

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiemax View Post
    My guess is they are still in the creeks
    That would be my guess too... I'm thinking a mile up creek from the river and there is moving water and plenty of 14' holes, the crappie would just hang out suspended in the deeper pools and brush piles during the July-Sept timeframe. However, I've never been successful catching the bigger fish in the heat of summer. So either I'm still fishing in the wrong places in the creeks, or they're making the voyage to the river. I wonder if there have been any tagging studies on river crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice report ,I have been wanting to try Brush Creek on the Ohio side anyone ever try it .?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a pretty firm believer most fish don't travel far on an annual basis, I'm not saying all but most.
    Ky did a tagging study about 10 years ago, they actually did 2 studies...spring and fall. It used to be posted on their website. I forget all the particulars but like anything some fish seemed to move more than others. Some fish stayed shallow all the time while others moved in/out/in/out shallow-deep-shallow deep. It was surprising how little the fish moved. As usual there were the few exceptions where a fish would travel several miles during the study. The study was done at Ky Lake which is a nothing more than a big river reservoir with locks and barge traffic and plenty of bays and creeks. The flow rate is slower I believe but the study would be similar I believe.
    If I were to fish one of those creeks I wouldn't assume anything. I would use my electronics and try to fish all depths in trying to at least locate some fish. I'd certainly be checking all depths and let the fish lead the way as to where I should keep looking.

I would think Brush Creek would be as good as any other creek.
    Likes kycreek LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback. I will try again at figuring them out this summer. As for now, looking forward to good creek fishing in the coming months.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbk View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I will try again at figuring them out this summer. As for now, looking forward to good creek fishing in the coming months.
    I find fish in marinas all year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast