Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Past or Present .......

Post Thanks / Like

Default Post Past or Present .......

is this here old male crappie in the....
    or present spawning mode ?
    please tell me what yawl think about him
    AND yes we still go in the rain this time of year down here ......
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchn View Post
    is this here old male crappie in the....
    or present spawning mode ?
    please tell me what yawl think about him
    AND yes we still go in the rain this time of year down here ......
    I'll Play...
    His Black Spawning color is not present, and his tail is torn up....so that rules out present, and would leave Pre or post.
    Our Crappie are not close yet, Crappie in Florida, Southern GA, and LA have spawned.
    I would say he's done with the spawn...so Post!
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

RogerA is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Trust in our Creator who Loves us

Post Thanks / Like

yes he was most certainly finished and healing his wounds .......
    in about 8 foot of water with a bunch of others just like him ......
    next lake .....much larger body of water .....
    here is a large female crappie from yesterday 3/31/16
    what about her ?

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like she's laid out .

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like it needs a fillet knife
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes blue-jig LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

she got the knife and he didn't .....
    and YES she was past done just like him .....
    I checked her out myself
    started this thread to make folks aware that crappie have no thermometer ...
    the water temp where we found her was 68 .....
    and she was deep and resting ....

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie do have a thermometer...Crappie spawn in shallow water at certain temps....if she was spawned out then her job was done at the proper temps!
    Just because your gauge showed 68 doesn't mean that the water deeper wasn't warmer...too many times, people get surface temps and pattern off of it.
    You have to know the temps where the fish are to fully understand what is going on.
    I have a BIG Weighted pool thermometer and drop it down with marked depths to take temps when needed. No SPECKulating that way!
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

ok lets be a bit more specific on the water temps there ....in 2 feet of water it was 66 and out in open water where it was deeper at around 10 foot to 14 foot it was 68
    that said the cause is recent cool rains cooling the shallower waters .....this lake has a maximum depth of about 15 foot and much of the lake is 10 or under ......
    the thing that screams volumes is that these fish very probably spawned a month ago and i am fairly sure the water was considerably cooler than the so called optimum water temps so frequently advertised as being when they spawn here in this area .....and that number is 68 .
    i feel sorry many times for folks that have limited time to go ketch fish and depend on people that should know that give out bad advice and information and am just giving examples to those out there trying to decide what to do when ....this year many fish were up shallow way before they were "supposed" to be according to the water temps
    i dont know why or what the causes are but we have some lakes that are staying closer to tradition and many others that are not ...
    our typical is not so typical this year in many spots around dfw most probably due to the much higher water levels than the past several years ......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchn View Post
    ok lets be a bit more specific on the water temps there ....in 2 feet of water it was 66 and out in open water where it was deeper at around 10 foot to 14 foot it was 68
    that said the cause is recent cool rains cooling the shallower waters .....this lake has a maximum depth of about 15 foot and much of the lake is 10 or under ......
    the thing that screams volumes is that these fish very probably spawned a month ago and i am fairly sure the water was considerably cooler than the so called optimum water temps so frequently advertised as being when they spawn here in this area .....and that number is 68 .
    i feel sorry many times for folks that have limited time to go ketch fish and depend on people that should know that give out bad advice and information and am just giving examples to those out there trying to decide what to do when ....this year many fish were up shallow way before they were "supposed" to be according to the water temps
    i dont know why or what the causes are but we have some lakes that are staying closer to tradition and many others that are not ...
    our typical is not so typical this year in many spots around dfw most probably due to the much higher water levels than the past several years ......
    Ketchn
    Not trying to argue....so don't take wrong.

So when you say the deep water was 68, is that temp off your mounted point under the boat?....if it is, that is considered "Surface Temp". Surface temps in Shallow water can raise several degrees in just a few hour. Rocks, dark bottoms, etc., can hold temperature longer than surface water.
    Temps can Vary ALOT in deeper water....that's why I measure with the pool thermometer. During longer Cold Fronts the surface temp may be 10 degrees colder than temps at depth....Normally 10 degrees is the Max, before you have a turnover (mixing).
    Thermoclines and turnovers are a whole 'nother large and mostly misunderstood phenomenon. NORMALLY, lakes only have a Spring and Fall turnover, and a summer and Winter Thermocline.
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast