Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wiring ? - MotorGuide Brute 56 12/24 to 24 v Minn Kota 70 lb PowerDrive

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wiring ? - MotorGuide Brute 56 12/24 to 24 v Minn Kota 70 lb PowerDrive

Currently have a MotorGuide 12/24 Brute 56 lb on a 17' Xpress...all factory wiring...never molested, never any problems. At the plug at the bow, it has a red, orange (I think) and black wire...total of 3 wires.

I have and want to swap my Minn Kota PowerDrive 70 lb 24 volt trolling motor over on to this Xpress. The Minn Kota has a red and black wire.

I may be cutting corners here but it seems the easiest way to swap these trolling motors is to find the 24 volt wire/s at the plug for the MotorGuide and properly splice my Minn Kota wires to it assuming black is ground for both MG and MK. This way I can retain the original factory plug, etc and not have to go chasing new plugs, drill holes for bigger plug, etc. Before I get started on all this tomorrow and while I'm sitting here tonight on the pooter...can I assume that one single wire on the MG plug is for 24 v's? I haven't checked the wires yet but I'm thinking the orange wire is the 24 v feed on the MG? If that be the case, it would seem fairly simple to accomplish this without changing plugs and possibly altering a lot of stuff at the bow.

I was reading another thread of a guy that had 2 sets of wires on his Xpress from the factory run from front to batteries in the back but I haven't checked mine yet for that luxury.

Anybody familiar with that orange wire on the MotorGuide 12/24 set up? Is it the 24?

"Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket ?"

Post Thanks / Like

You can just re-use the TM side plug and hook to the negative and 24V. Measure with meter to be sure you are using the right one, but normally red and black are the wires to use for 24V with orange being the 12V