Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walleye initiative?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Walleye initiative?

Read a little bit about it on the KWA website but was wondering what they were trying to do. I know it's not crappie but thought you might have some knowledge. Thanks in advance.

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justanotherhunter View Post
    Read a little bit about it on the KWA website but was wondering what they were trying to do. I know it's not crappie but thought you might have some knowledge. Thanks in advance.
    To see presentations on the Kansas Walleye Initiative go to March 2016 Commission Meeting - Part 2, Kansas Wildlife, Parks & Tourism Commission kdwpinfo on USTREAM. Other News . This is the most comprehensive information available on the newly released Kansas Walleye Initiative. It should answer most, if not all, of your questions!
    Likes sah LIKED above post

crappieslinger is offline Moderator Kansas Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Very good information Craig. I fully support the longer length limits.
    Thank you for sharing the link!
    Don't Move a Mussel!! Clean, Drain and Dry EVERY TIME, ON EVERY BODY OF WATER!!

Post Thanks / Like

That was very interesting, and it will also be interesting to see how it turns out. Sound like some big changes coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Johnson View Post
    To see presentations on the Kansas Walleye Initiative go to March 2016 Commission Meeting - Part 2, Kansas Wildlife, Parks & Tourism Commission kdwpinfo on USTREAM. Other News . This is the most comprehensive information available on the newly released Kansas Walleye Initiative. It should answer most, if not all, of your questions!

Post Thanks / Like

Does not matter size if the person catching does not take care of the fish and release it in good shape. More has to be done to ensure that everyone knows how to treat a fish that has to be released. So many times I see someone hank a fish in bang it on the bottom of the boat grab it then just manhandle the fish to get the hook out. That fish will die. IMHO all fish should be netted no matter what size fish should not be removed from the net. Net should remain in the water until the fish is unhooked then release not touched at all. To survive and grow bigger.
    Likes springhillwantabe LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Craig is there a list of the lakes and what limits will be placed on them? He spoke about some lakes I'm interested in and placed a map up there but I couldn't really tell much from the map when it came to some of the smaller impoundments in my area that are being stocked with walleye/saugeye/sauger. He talked some about the use of walleye in these smaller lakes as broadfish to control populations. Why the use of walleye vs wiper for that? I'd like to see the majority of the reservoirs go to the 21" or 24" seasonal limits with the smaller impoundments being at 15". Most of the time when I'm out for walleye I'm looking to catch trophies. There are times however when I'd like to be able to bring a few eaters home and I don't consider a 24" fish an eater. That's why I say I'd be nice to have the smaller impoundments with the lower limits.
    Likes springhillwantabe LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Salina Local News, Weather and Sports - KSAL.com

April 9, 2016
    Latest on the KDWPT Walleye proposals for next year. Glen Elder will have no change from current 18 inch length limit. The proposed 24 inch length limit at Glen has been dropped. Kanopolis still scheduled for an 18 inch length limit. We asked that a slot length limit of 2 Walleyes 15 to 18 inches and 3 over 18 inches be considered for Kanopolis. Wilson no change from 15 inch length limit. Milford set for a 2 fish minimum 21 inch length limit next year. Final proposals will be presented to the KDWPT commission at their meeting Thursday April 21, Great Plains nature center in Wichita.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. I felt the way they talked in the video that it was a done deal for at least Glen Elder.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm to lazy to read, so can someone tell me in a nutshell what they are trying to accomplish here? How often do you guys limit out on Walleye when fishing?????
    "My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am" -- unknown

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my simple question. If the problem is over harvest as eluded to in the original Glen Elder discussion, why not reduce the creel limits from 5ea to 4ea or even 3ea?

Instead, we are talking about jacking the minimum length limits to 21", why? The constant line has been there is no natural reproduction so there is no need to protect our large fish. If our waters are truly 'put and take' waters, then this initiative is a waste of time and money. Someone is trying to drum up more out of state interest in KS walleyes, trying to make them TROPHY fisheries.... nobody is coming from out of state to catch 2 fish. Milford doesn't seem to have a problem producing trophy fish as it is now, why are we changing the limits there? The problem is not the minimum lengths, its all about harvest.

And for the love of all things fishing, someone PLEASE offer an explanation as to WHY slot limits wont work in KS? Nebraska has them, and at last check all of their lakes are man made reservoirs just like ours....Harlan County is a tremendous fishery, and is very similar to Glen. It gets hammered just as hard or harder...and yet with a 4 fish 1 over 22" slot limit....it keeps on keepin on. This posturing and stating "it wont work" only gets you so far, provide some evidence as to why it wont work. I agree that if you are not worried about large fish, it had no place. But now that we are evidently worried about trophy fish... the evidence is merely across the border to the north that slots should at least be visited.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast