Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Where did my truck go?

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Where did my truck go?

This didn't happy to me but a buddy and our sons and I witnessed it!
    This was years ago when we were living in Illinois. We had taken our young sons to the Illinois River to fish as we had heard that the white bass (and sauger) were doing their spring thing. We were going to fish below the dam on the Illinois River near Ottawa and Starved Rock State Park. We fished several hours and went in to fillet the 25 or so white bass (no sauger) we had caught. As we were filleting the fish we heard some yelling. We turned toward the scream and saw a very new looking rig---nice red walk-through type fiberglass boat and a new-looking red pickup truck slowly heading down the ramp-no one was in the truck! The boat, of course, was floating. One guy was standing close to the front of the truck. The other guy was in the boat and screaming to him about setting the truck's hand brake!
    Well, there was nothing neither of them or anyone else could do as the truck was now well on it's way down the concrete ramp, so everyone just waited to see how far the truck would sink. The boat and the one guy was in the water and the truck was 'missing' in action. It was lucky that the current was not stronger. Otherwise the truck may have just floated away. The truck ended up so that the only thing you see was part of the glass windshield.
    The two guys did not do a lot of talking to each other after this happened. But (since this was before cell phones) one of them did find someone to take him to make a phone call!
    the trick to catch that finnicky speck....
    gently set the hook just before the peck

Post Thanks / Like

That would be a bad day.

Post Thanks / Like

I scared my self one day last year. After getting my boat launched and tied off (one man operation), I returned to my truck. The brake was set, but it was still in reverse with the motor running. I consider it my lucky day.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Word of caution ''NEVER'' leave kids in the truck while loading or unloading your boat! A fishing buddy of mine lost both his 8 year old grandson's when they kicked it out of gear or something. It rolled in the river and they could'nt get them out !
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

We had a family do the same thing just last year...Dad was in the boat ...Mom had backed the boat into the water...Got out and the car started rolling...Couldn't get the kids out....So sad...Everytime I go out to that landing I think about those kids...

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen emergency brake cables break on some steep ramps and they didnt turn out so well. so now I carry a 4x4 to chalk the back wheel when I get out to take care of the boat just incase.
    MT.DEW AND JP8 IN THE MORNING GETS THE BLOOD FLOWING.

Post Thanks / Like

been ther done that, summer before last my van kicked out of gear and into the lake it went while i had to watch(cell phone was in it)...went in to the windsheild and back was up to the tv(conversion van)
    bad day but ......S**T happens

Post Thanks / Like

Last summer at an Arkansas River launch, myself and two other trucks were queued in the parking lot prepping our boats when a hotshot with a new matching red F250 and Ranger boat flew up and blocked the whole double ramp. With us onlookers wishing him the best of luck, he jumps out and the the whole rig immediately headed for the river, the trailer slam jack-knifed back into the truck as soon as it hit the water, fiberglass exploded, the powerstroke made bad sounds, and then it was all gone except for bubbles.

I pulled him out for free mainly cause I wanted the ramp cleared but my son charged him a $20 to dive and hook the strap. He undercharged cause he bout drown trying to dive and laugh at the same time. That was one sad dude when we left him, kept saying "my wife's gonna kill me".

Post Thanks / Like

I think I would have payed to see that one, LAZYJ