Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cold Pour/Gel Pour vs Hand Pour vs Injection for molds

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cold Pour/Gel Pour vs Hand Pour vs Injection for molds

Yet another question for lure making. I found out a new "term" and plastic that can be used to make lures and came up empty handed. It's called Col Pouring. My question is how it works and if it is as good as hand pouring or injection. Would injection be the best?

Also, since I'm on a budget, I don't want to spend $50-75 on an injector. I could machine one on a lathe but I do not have a seal or O-Ring to seal the plunger. What are some good "Wally World" alternatives that work? I've used molds before but I hand poured mine and before it set I rammed a 1/2" bolt into the runner to inject the plastic into the cavities. It could work for my bigger mold I'm currently making, but I'd have to make my plastic lava-hot so I can ram the bolt down the runner for it.
    "They call it fishing, NOT CATCHING!"

Post Thanks / Like

Really the place for soft plastic questions is the DYI Soft Plastics Sub-Board. I will move it to that board and then leave a link for a day or two.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/diy-soft-plastics/

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!
    Likes 2Bass2Furious LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Injection will give you the best baits hands down. Injection will afford you a whole lot more manipulation of the plastic to get some very unusual results. If you get good at hand pouring you can create some dandy stuff. Both hand pouring and injection are great ways to make baits but the injection will offer you far more molds and again there are techniques used in injection that just won't cut it with hand pouring. Your hand pour molds are not nearly as expensive. There are however a lot of very affordable injection molds on the market. Check out Do-It, Jacobs and Basstackle for molds of all types. Injection though....good stuff Maynard.

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

LureCraft,Jann'snet craft,Barlow's all have mold's for different types of pouring plastic's."Make Lure.dot com" has some good info.Lot of info on the net. We have a box of different rubber mold's from lurecraft,Bass,crappie mold's grub's,worm's ect we have used to pour a lot,A lot of hand pour's not perfect are pretty but the fish sure do like them.
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.