Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: hummingbird platnium ID??

Post Thanks / Like

Default hummingbird platnium ID??

I just picked up a boat with a Platnium ID on it. Anyone know if these are good or not? This is my first boat in 15 years, I'm a little outdated on things.

Thanks
    Fishing-Preacher
    John 3:3 ... Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishing-preacher
    I just picked up a boat with a Platnium ID on it. Anyone know if these are good or not? This is my first boat in 15 years, I'm a little outdated on things.

Thanks
    Fishing-Preacher
    I'm not familiar with that model. It may be an older one. I'll bump this up so maybe someone will see it that knows something about it. One sold on eBay recently for 42 bux if that tells you anything - http://cgi.ebay.com/Humminbird-Plati...QQcmdZViewItem
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    Fishing-Preacher
    This was GREAT equipment when it came out (late 1980's) but great leaps have been made in the field since then.

I just recently replaced one just like it with a new Humminbird 787C2.

WORLDS of differience!
    "My worst day fishin was better than my best day workin!"

Post Thanks / Like

what is a good entry level finder? What about the eagle cuda 168?
    John 3:3 ... Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Post Thanks / Like

what is a good entry level finder? What about the eagle cuda 168?
    My advice is to buy the best you can afford and learn to intrepret what it's telling you.

Humminbird, Lowrance (Lowrance and Eagle are the same company), and Garmin all make some decent entry level units any of which will, I'm quite sure, out perform what you currently have on your boat.

Power, screen resolution, screen size, and type of display (color vs gray scale) determine cost with these things and the new color fishing systems are just awesome but, in the end, it all depends on what you want to do with your boat and how often you will be using it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake
    I'm not familiar with that model. It may be an older one. I'll bump this up so maybe someone will see it that knows something about it. One sold on eBay recently for 42 bux if that tells you anything - http://cgi.ebay.com/Humminbird-Plati...QQcmdZViewItem
    Jerry given our recent exchange on another thread I thought you might be interested in what I finally ended up with in upgrading the electronics on my boat.

I put a Humminbird 787C2 fishing system with external GPS on the console and bought a second station kit and Y cable from J and H Products.

I mounted the second station on the bow put the dual beam (I can select either or both together) transducer on the trolling motor and the quad beam transducer on the transom.

GPS reciever stays in the same place all the time with both stations connected via the Y cable.

I can look at a full 90 degrees worth of bottom when cruising around looking for structure in a new area and mark anything I see on the chart. When I decide to fish that location I switch the unit to the front station and really lock down on it using only the 200khz signal from the trolling motor mounted transducer.

This way I only have to learn how to operate one unit and don't have to worry about whether or not waypoints all get saved in the same place or not.

As you well know, the weather hasn't been cooperating very well and I don't have much time on this new arrangment yet but thus far I like it!

VERY minimal interfearance(sp) problem w/trolling motor transducer IF I run it (the trolling motor) at high speed, which I rarely do anyway, is the only negative I've noticed so far.

Thanks again for all your VERY helpful input!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Humminbird Platinum I D fish finder on a 1993 model boat. It came with the boat when I purchased it new. So that tells you the age of the technology.

It will show the depth, structure, and large fish. The transducer needs to be replaced every couple of years to maintain sensitivity.

I also have a Lowrance x125 and it is 10 times more sensitive. It will show small schools of shad and my jig while I am fishing. You can actually see the fish approach the jig, before you feel the thump..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigun
    Jerry given our recent exchange on another thread I thought you might be interested in what I finally ended up with in upgrading the electronics on my boat.

I put a Humminbird 787C2 fishing system with external GPS on the console and bought a second station kit and Y cable from J and H Products.

I mounted the second station on the bow put the dual beam (I can select either or both together) transducer on the trolling motor and the quad beam transducer on the transom.

GPS reciever stays in the same place all the time with both stations connected via the Y cable.

I can look at a full 90 degrees worth of bottom when cruising around looking for structure in a new area and mark anything I see on the chart. When I decide to fish that location I switch the unit to the front station and really lock down on it using only the 200khz signal from the trolling motor mounted transducer.

This way I only have to learn how to operate one unit and don't have to worry about whether or not waypoints all get saved in the same place or not.

As you well know, the weather hasn't been cooperating very well and I don't have much time on this new arrangment yet but thus far I like it!

VERY minimal interfearance(sp) problem w/trolling motor transducer IF I run it (the trolling motor) at high speed, which I rarely do anyway, is the only negative I've noticed so far.

Thanks again for all your VERY helpful input!
    Hey bigun:

That sounds like a great set-up! If you have a Maiximizer TM I may be able to tell you how to completely eliminate the electrical noise by putting a ground wire in the TM.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake
    Hey bigun:

That sounds like a great set-up! If you have a Maiximizer TM I may be able to tell you how to completely eliminate the electrical noise by putting a ground wire in the TM.
    Unfortunately it's an old Motor Quide that I will probably replace at some point with a new Minkota with the transducer built in so that I can just plug the fishing system in and do away with all that external wire and tie wraps.

I would then be able to program the Minkota to follow a course between any two waypoints I chose (to follow a ledge for example) and it would do so leaving me nothing to do but FISH and watch the sonar display!

As I say they are making GREAT leaps with technology these days and I'm gonna try to take as much advantage of that as I can.