PDA

View Full Version : Best Trolling Motor Battery ?

Rebelyelp
03-29-2016, 09:13 AM
Just got a new boat (used) and I'm afraid the TM battery that came with it has seen it's better day. When I first launch it's great, but after an hour or so, we're down to very little power. Any recommendations on the best battery for a TM ? Optima Blue Top ? something else that's cheaper ?

CatFan
03-29-2016, 09:16 AM
Just got a new boat (used) and I'm afraid the TM battery that came with it has seen it's better day. When I first launch it's great, but after an hour or so, we're down to very little power. Any recommendations on the best battery for a TM ? Optima Blue Top ? something else that's cheaper ?

Optimas would be among the worst. Among the most expensive and among the lowest capacity.

What you want is the highest RC you can get at the price and size you want.

I don't mess with any but the Everstart Maxx 29. 205 minute RC, $100 and stores for warranty replacement if you need it are everywhere and open 7 days a week.

Rebelyelp
03-29-2016, 09:50 AM
how do you tell how many minutes the RC is ? I see on the wal-mart page it shows RC - 85. Any opinion on the DieHard Marine ? I can get them through work.

Rebelyelp
03-29-2016, 10:03 AM
sorry for the double post, poor internet connection today. Delete.

dialtone
03-29-2016, 11:02 AM
fleetpride carries heavy duty truck batteries, get the coldest cranking amp they have, I have 2 and are wired in 24 volt series they are just like the gift that keeps on giving

CatFan
03-29-2016, 01:32 PM
The RC number on the Walmart site is wrong.

Diehards are generally Exides, though the AGMs are other manufacturers. The Diehard Marine 31M is 180 minute RC and $145 with a 1 year warranty vs. 205 minute RC and $100 with a 2 year warranty for the Everstart. Maybe at $75 I might consider the Diehard.

CatFan
03-29-2016, 01:33 PM
fleetpride carries heavy duty truck batteries, get the coldest cranking amp they have, I have 2 and are wired in 24 volt series they are just like the gift that keeps on giving

Truck batteries aren't deep-cycles and higher CCA usually means lower capacity. Not the way to pick a trolling battery.

Cane Pole
03-29-2016, 02:52 PM
I use Walmarts size 27 cause that is all I can git in the battery hold. They do fine. If I could git a 29 in my batt hold, I would git the 29 for reasons previously stated by Catfan. Best bang for the buck and they install and they will load test at no cost.

skeetbum
03-29-2016, 06:47 PM
I had 27's before and went with 29's this time for 2 reasons; My store had no 31's and if the 29's had been 1/4" longer or wider they would not have fit my battery boxes. Real close to $200 for the pair out the door. I never ran the 27's all the way down and was tough on them (trolling for 6 hrs or more at a stretch) so I wouldn't turn my nose up at any of those, mine were interstates. I looked to replace with others just like those but the price I was quoted was $160 each. I just smiled and said no thanks.

stringstalker911
03-29-2016, 11:04 PM
i get the group 31 battery from oreillys auto parts. i cant remember how much it was but i remember it being better priced then most. I trolled non stop fighting the wind all day today from noon till 8 and still had plenty of battery left. The trolling motor literally did not stop running today. I have also been out on all day outings from dawn to dusk and it always lasts.

livemusic
03-30-2016, 01:18 PM
I read somewhere, can't recall where, of a man who uses golf cart batteries for trolling batteries. I think he said they had much more time-running capacity. I don't recall if he meant time-on-the-water, or length of life. I thought he meant time-running capacity. Anyone know about this?

jigflip
03-30-2016, 09:22 PM
GOLF CART BATTERIES ARE 6VOLT WOULD REQUIRE 4.............. GOT THAT KIND OF ROOM?

tcounty
03-30-2016, 09:26 PM
GOLF CART BATTERIES ARE 6VOLT WOULD REQUIRE 4.............. GOT THAT KIND OF ROOM?

You can get 12v golf cart batteries. In fact most of them are 12v

arkcrappie
03-30-2016, 11:07 PM
I use Everstart Maxx 29's. 24 volt system and I fish daylight till dark and don't drain the battery. The reason I use them have been stated above.

SlabSlider
03-31-2016, 01:26 AM
For TM's use a high Amp Hour rating battery that is deep cycle AGM series like this one...Amazon.com: 12V 100Ah SOLAR WIND AGM SLA DEEP CYCLE VRLA BATTERY 12V 24V 48V: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/100Ah-SOLAR-WIND-CYCLE-BATTERY/dp/B00S1RT58C?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00)

This battery only cost me $115 last month. The price went up. Look for a cheaper one if you can but this is the one that I bought.
I use a trolling motor on my jon boat and i can run the TM all day (12 hours of trolling and spot hopping) and come home with 50% charge left over.
The higher the Amp Hours the longer the run time. If you have a 55 lb TM then it will draw 55 amps at full power. With that you can conceivably go 2 hours on a full charge running full speed before the battery fully discharges. Of course you usually don't go full out in 2 hours so you could get a full day on a single charge and stillhave about 20%-40% battery left after full day.
The battery weighs 63 lbs but it is worth every penny!!!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71ZunrGI8tL._SL1000_.jpg

(http://www.amazon.com/100Ah-SOLAR-WIND-CYCLE-BATTERY/dp/B00S1RT58C?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00)

CatFan
03-31-2016, 06:57 AM
For TM's use a high Amp Hour rating battery that is deep cycle AGM series like this one...Amazon.com: 12V 100Ah SOLAR WIND AGM SLA DEEP CYCLE VRLA BATTERY 12V 24V 48V: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/100Ah-SOLAR-WIND-CYCLE-BATTERY/dp/B00S1RT58C?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00)

This battery only cost me $115 last month. The price went up. Look for a cheaper one if you can but this is the one that I bought.
I use a trolling motor on my jon boat and i can run the TM all day (12 hours of trolling and spot hopping) and come home with 50% charge left over.
The higher the Amp Hours the longer the run time. If you have a 55 lb TM then it will draw 55 amps at full power. With that you can conceivably go 2 hours on a full charge running full speed before the battery fully discharges. Of course you usually don't go full out in 2 hours so you could get a full day on a single charge and stillhave about 20%-40% battery left after full day.
The battery weighs 63 lbs but it is worth every penny!!!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71ZunrGI8tL._SL1000_.jpg

(http://www.amazon.com/100Ah-SOLAR-WIND-CYCLE-BATTERY/dp/B00S1RT58C?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00)

If you can get that battery for $115, you should buy a truckload. $240 for a very similar battery at Cabela's.

in my blood
04-02-2016, 08:42 PM
biq Walmart battery walmarts everywhere in case fails

Centexskeeter
04-03-2016, 08:24 AM
I just replaced 3 yesterday. Went with everstart. Can't beat the price there. Paid 81 for each 27 group and 86 for a group 29. If I can get 4 years out of them, like I did the last set, I will be happy

Two Dog
04-03-2016, 08:51 AM
Agreed, $200 per pair over four years ... $50 a year, not bad ...

trypman1
04-03-2016, 09:49 AM
The Everstart max is fine, The secret to long lasting is to charge slow, 24amps. I use 29 series. Walmart is OK also.

trypman1
04-03-2016, 09:50 AM
Correction 2 to 4 amps

callmecamo
04-04-2016, 08:31 AM
Correction 2 to 4 amps

When I saw 24 I was like :yikes

CatFan
04-04-2016, 08:46 AM
When I saw 24 I was like :yikes

24A would be much better than 2 to 4 Amps. Low current charging is bad for the battery. Batteries with internal temperature monitoring are routinely charged at 40A, and some TM specific AGMs like the Odyssey require 40A chargers to reach full charge in a day. 2 to 4 Amps doesn't get them charged fast enough and you lose battery life.

callmecamo
04-04-2016, 09:56 AM
24A would be much better than 2 to 4 Amps. Low current charging is bad for the battery. Batteries with internal temperature monitoring are routinely charged at 40A, and some TM specific AGMs like the Odyssey require 40A chargers to reach full charge in a day. 2 to 4 Amps doesn't get them charged fast enough and you lose battery life.

Now that I did not know. I assume you are the local battery guru CatFan? I assume you've been in that industry for a while.

CatFan
04-04-2016, 02:41 PM
Now that I did not know. I assume you are the local battery guru CatFan? I assume you've been in that industry for a while.

I worked as an engineer in battery test and evaluation for almost 11 years.

trypman1
04-04-2016, 03:26 PM
I did not no that either. I was always told the other way.

naturenut
04-04-2016, 08:59 PM
I worked as an engineer in battery test and evaluation for almost 11 years.

hi,
great to have someone with your knowledge here.
i just bought a 29 series Everstart Maxx deep cycle battery.
what is the best charge amp. to use for a battery like this, to give it the longest life of the battery ?

thx,

CatFan
04-05-2016, 05:54 AM
hi,
great to have someone with your knowledge here.
i just bought a 29 series Everstart Maxx deep cycle battery.
what is the best charge amp. to use for a battery like this, to give it the longest life of the battery ?

thx,

10 or 15A is probably best. Key thing is to get it charged as soon as possible after using it. The extra amps make that happen. Check your electrolyte levels once a month and add distilled water as needed to get it about halfway between the tops of the plates and the bottoms of the tubes.

callmecamo
04-05-2016, 08:23 AM
Thanks for sharing your knowledge, CatFan!

naturenut
04-05-2016, 09:05 AM
10 or 15A is probably best. Key thing is to get it charged as soon as possible after using it. The extra amps make that happen. Check your electrolyte levels once a month and add distilled water as needed to get it about halfway between the tops of the plates and the bottoms of the tubes.

glad you mentioned levels. i always filled to the bottom of the tube.
should i take a little out, if so, whats the best method ? it's a new battery.

is it good to keep a Battery Tender JR. on the battery after i have it fully charged ?

thx for the info

CatFan
04-05-2016, 09:27 AM
glad you mentioned levels. i always filled to the bottom of the tube.
should i take a little out ? it's a new battery.

is it good to keep a Battery Tender JR. on the battery after i have it fully charged ?

thx for the info

I wouldn't take any out because you will be removing acid. Problem with filling to the bottom of the tubes is that it tends to splash out more easily in rough water.

If you have a standard onboard charger, just leave it on. You could put a battery tender on it if your charger doesn't have a maintenance mode. Otherwise top it off at least every 30 days of non-use.

naturenut
04-05-2016, 09:35 AM
thx bud!

I wouldn't take any out because you will be removing acid. Problem with filling to the bottom of the tubes is that it tends to splash out more easily in rough water.

If you have a standard onboard charger, just leave it on. You could put a battery tender on it if your charger doesn't have a maintenance mode. Otherwise top it off at least every 30 days of non-use.

Snoball
04-05-2016, 10:14 AM
CatFan thank you for all of the info.
There are so many of us that have a system that we follow but are never sure if it is proper. This post has cleared up a lot of things with battery maintenance and charging guidelines for me and others.
Now we know who to contact if we have a battery question.
Thank you again.