Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Trolling Motor Battery ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Trolling Motor Battery ?

Just got a new boat (used) and I'm afraid the TM battery that came with it has seen it's better day. When I first launch it's great, but after an hour or so, we're down to very little power. Any recommendations on the best battery for a TM ? Optima Blue Top ? something else that's cheaper ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelyelp View Post
    Just got a new boat (used) and I'm afraid the TM battery that came with it has seen it's better day. When I first launch it's great, but after an hour or so, we're down to very little power. Any recommendations on the best battery for a TM ? Optima Blue Top ? something else that's cheaper ?
    Optimas would be among the worst. Among the most expensive and among the lowest capacity.

What you want is the highest RC you can get at the price and size you want.

I don't mess with any but the Everstart Maxx 29. 205 minute RC, $100 and stores for warranty replacement if you need it are everywhere and open 7 days a week.
    Likes arkcrappie, Redge, Slabprowler LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

how do you tell how many minutes the RC is ? I see on the wal-mart page it shows RC - 85. Any opinion on the DieHard Marine ? I can get them through work.

Post Thanks / Like

sorry for the double post, poor internet connection today. Delete.
    Last edited by Rebelyelp; 03-29-2016 at 10:04 AM. Reason: double post

Post Thanks / Like

fleetpride carries heavy duty truck batteries, get the coldest cranking amp they have, I have 2 and are wired in 24 volt series they are just like the gift that keeps on giving

Post Thanks / Like

The RC number on the Walmart site is wrong.

Diehards are generally Exides, though the AGMs are other manufacturers. The Diehard Marine 31M is 180 minute RC and $145 with a 1 year warranty vs. 205 minute RC and $100 with a 2 year warranty for the Everstart. Maybe at $75 I might consider the Diehard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dialtone View Post
    fleetpride carries heavy duty truck batteries, get the coldest cranking amp they have, I have 2 and are wired in 24 volt series they are just like the gift that keeps on giving

Truck batteries aren't deep-cycles and higher CCA usually means lower capacity. Not the way to pick a trolling battery.
    Likes SeaRay LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Walmarts size 27 cause that is all I can git in the battery hold. They do fine. If I could git a 29 in my batt hold, I would git the 29 for reasons previously stated by Catfan. Best bang for the buck and they install and they will load test at no cost.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I had 27's before and went with 29's this time for 2 reasons; My store had no 31's and if the 29's had been 1/4" longer or wider they would not have fit my battery boxes. Real close to $200 for the pair out the door. I never ran the 27's all the way down and was tough on them (trolling for 6 hrs or more at a stretch) so I wouldn't turn my nose up at any of those, mine were interstates. I looked to replace with others just like those but the price I was quoted was $160 each. I just smiled and said no thanks.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

i get the group 31 battery from oreillys auto parts. i cant remember how much it was but i remember it being better priced then most. I trolled non stop fighting the wind all day today from noon till 8 and still had plenty of battery left. The trolling motor literally did not stop running today. I have also been out on all day outings from dawn to dusk and it always lasts.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast