Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Smithville Lake 3/29/16

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Smithville Lake 3/29/16

Got to the lake at 6pm today, stopped at the first W bridge and headed northeast where that red circle with blue dots are in the picture below that I attached. Bank fishing by the way. Well got hunged up there to many times and no bites so decided to move. Also the current was somewhat strong. Can anybody can inform me about crappie fishing with a bobber with strong waves? I can't detect the bite with the bobber constantly moving with the current

Well I moved to the 2nd bridge and after a while with no bites, using minnows with 3 poles out and each at different depths, I finally got a bite that I didn't know. I couldn't find my 3rd bobber. I asked my buddy and he didn't see it either so I reeled in the slack, set the hook and landed a 12incher. That boy swallowed it and took off deep. 2ft from the bobber and only 10ft out. After me and my buddy fished from 6pm-10pm. Only one was a keeper. I figured by catching one crappie there, I would catch more but not a single bite. What do you guys think of this? I thought crappies swam in schools etc? any factors/reasoning's why only 1 was caught. Well here is the picture of the map I was first at on the first W Bridge and the only crappie I caught on Bridge 2. Enjoy and thanks for all info/opinions! I'm still a noob when it comes to crappie fishing but learning as I keep fishing ! Name:  12904034_1018123668253402_579610470_o.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  61.0 KBName:  12903992_1018127708252998_966723121_o.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  91.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

By the first bridge was it the one with the boat ramp ? said you was fishing northeast map shows south east. about the bobbers sometimes a weighted bobber works good in rough water. The fishing will be better from shore in a couple weeks when the water warms . Good luck and don't give up it will happen.
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe getting out of the wind into a cove that is calmer will help. Not sure how good the bite will be after dark without lights too. Don't get discouraged. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappies will school up at certain times of the year, and be more solitary at other times. This is a pretty tough time of year because the fish are in between stages. I always tell myself: "It will get better next week"

Post Thanks / Like

Fish coulda been moving, too. Following shad. You got bit when they moved through, but no more bites cuz they moved on, following the food.

I would suspect the crappie will get increasingly aggressive as spawn approaches, meaning they will slam the bait and there will be no question about the strike. A bobber in the wind coupled with a light bite presents a problem.

Then again, a bobber in the wind....hell, just getting it to hit the surface of the water is a success for me!!

Likes stratosverian LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Joe may not be the "expert" on making h2o contact with the bobber, but he is DEFINITELY one of two experts at properly identifying which "W" Bridge you are fishing!!!! (It's a long story, suffice it to say, there was a camp fire and adult beverages consumed and it all depends on your perspective......whether you are in a boat or in a car!!!!)

You are on the right site for learning more about crappie fishing. As long as you don't mind sifting through a little b s and poking, these guys are an awesome group!
    I believe in catch and release.....right into the grease!!!!!
    Likes MustangJimmy816 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

When I use bobbers I use the stick type and if the wind starts beating it up too bad I add a little weight to drop it down in the water so just the top stick part is above water, doesn't move around as much and you can see a light strike. Course some guys just throw them in a tree and the wind has no effect.

Post Thanks / Like

haha sorry, yes u are right, southeast and yes the first bridge by the boat ramp. I said northeast cause from where I personally walked from where I parked!

Quote Originally Posted by got crappie View Post
    By the first bridge was it the one with the boat ramp ? said you was fishing northeast map shows south east. about the bobbers sometimes a weighted bobber works good in rough water. The fishing will be better from shore in a couple weeks when the water warms . Good luck and don't give up it will happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MustangJimmy816 View Post
    haha sorry, yes u are right, southeast and yes the first bridge by the boat ramp. I said northeast cause from where I personally walked from where I parked!
    I've seen lots of crappie caught on the northeast of the road there and around to the bridge during the spawn. Keep in mind its a little early for that .
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

what exactly is a cove? is it where an area of water is surrounded by land where it makes the current very slow and calm? Me and my buddy had headlamps on with 2200 lumens off amazon for only 20$. Very bright where you can clearly see your bobber 12-15 feet out. Are you referring to those green neon lights that attracts crappie?

Quote Originally Posted by love2fish View Post
    Maybe getting out of the wind into a cove that is calmer will help. Not sure how good the bite will be after dark without lights too. Don't get discouraged. Good luck.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast