Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Measuring fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Measuring fish

When you measure your fish, do you pinch the tail of the fish?

Post Thanks / Like

Only if I need to.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking That's sexual harrassment ....

OH !! , I know what you mean :p .... pinching the tail together to get the maximum length measurable

Normally, no ... I measure them in one of those measuring holster thingys, and if they don't surpass the legal length limit by at least a half inch or more, with their tail fanned out, they go back. I don't take any chances on getting fined for short fish
    Most waters I fish have a 9 or 10 inch size/length limit ... and I'm looking for larger fish than the minimum, so I usually self-impose a 10+ inch minimum limit on any I keep. But, that's just me. I am in no way condemning anyone who uses the "pinched tail" method of measuring. Matter of fact - KY Fishing Laws specifically state : measure fish by closing mouth of fish, lay it flat on measuring rule, and squeeze the tail lobes together.

I have done it, in Bass & Crappie tournaments ... but only when necessary to cull out any borderline fish - just so there would be absolutely no doubt they'd measure at weigh-in. When they come up out of the water, flipping and flopping and thrashing around ... they look bigger than they really are, sometimes. So, I do recommend measuring them. And if it's legal to pinch the tail lobes together, and you want/need the fish ... go for it. .... cp

Post Thanks / Like

In Ne. you have to close the mouth and pinch the tail.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

if money is on the line i will stretch that baby anyway I can :D :rolleyes: :p :p :p

Post Thanks / Like

Thumb in mouth, finger in front of lip, add 1/2" -- but when it counts for legality, mouth closed, fan tail, turn over do the same and fan tail. If it's too close to call, don't chance it. But, I'm fortunate not to have to deal with a length limit here in Arkansas on the lakes I fish. However, you boys in Mississippi have length limits (some 10 some 12), but from what I hear about the legendary size of Mississippi crappie, ya'll shouldn't have to worry about that too much. If it's close, just throw it back because there's a 3 or 4 pounder on the next hookup.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

No length limits here. I keep what can be filleted for my wife and daughter and I want a mess fried with bone-in (my personal preference). If I catch one unusually large for what I'm used to catching I'll weigh it and lay the fish on top of my cooler for a measurement on the ruler (molded into the top of the cooler). I dont try adding to the length but pinching the tail....it is what it is I figure.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Pah, I don't catch no stinkin short fish! :D
    Good things come to those who bait.

87MH Guest

Default Texas Parks and Wildlife Outdoor Annual Regulations Sez....

Close the mouth and pinch the tail.....

...page 41.

Post Thanks / Like

Be carefull when you close mouth and pinch tail if you put the fish in a cooler on ice. I have seen fish draw up nearly a quarter of an inch that have been on ice for a long time. So you may think you are O.K. but the only ruler that matters is the warden's. I usually throw the ones back that just touch the legal line. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion