Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barometric pressure / solar / lunar

Post Thanks / Like

Default Barometric pressure / solar / lunar

Those of you that have fished a long time and have watched the variables, have you found any correlation to barometric pressure, solar or lunar tables and the crappie bite? Has anyone ever figured out why fish bite, lol? The fish bit last couple of days, and now we have a rising barometer. Wondering what it will do to them. It will be kind of flat tomorrow and next day and then start falling ahead of a front. Generally, just ahead of a front is supposed to be good for bass.

I've never placed much faith in any kind of enhanced fish bite prediction but I'm certainly curious. On the other hand, predicting when they will NOT bite, that does seem to have some merit. Such as after a front. But I am no fish expert. Generally, if a front has not just come through, I will just go when I can and hope.
    ~~~
    Bill

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a big believer in the solar tables, more on game than fish but I'm sure barometric has some bearing as well just not paid attention to it. I watch water rising and falling more than anything on our area reservoirs. It is key on our TVA lakes to the bite.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tenncrappie View Post
    ...I watch water rising and falling more than anything on our area reservoirs. It is key on our TVA lakes to the bite.
    And what is the key, lol? I've heard a tip about rising/falling but don't recall which way it goes, lol.
    ~~~
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I fish whenever I can. If I waited for "ideal" conditions, I'd never fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe it can affect fishing....and many times does. A few weeks back crappie were in the riprap...cold front came through. I went anyway. I found them they had just moved to deeper water. I fished Saturday even though a big cold front happened the night before. Had I not gone I would not have caught my personal best Spotted bass on 2# test line. I'm with disco and as I like to tell people "You won't know if you don't go".

Regards
    Likes Idunno LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I been watching it for a while. Seems like I catch fish when the Solunar tables say the fish will bite. Then, I go on what the solunar table says is an "average day" and catch the same amount as the "best" or "better" days. Go when you can, you will catch them even when the solunar forecast says not.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    I fish whenever I can. If I waited for "ideal" conditions, I'd never fish.
    X two
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Go for fishing and not for catching.......otherwise you will be disappointed.......
    Likes Tom 513, hotfoot01 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

try to remember this ......crappie are eating machines . I know a lot of the time they say the bite should be great and it isn't . then they say they wont bite and the fish wont quit biting . I do prefer certain conditions over others , but sometimes its just because I don't want to be miserable while I am trying to figure out the fish .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Go fishing and keep a log of weather, pressure, water and air temps, and solunar tables. Record your success or failure. Over time, you will see a pattern. Or lack of one, which means if you are free, go fishing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast