Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Reel Suggestions for B n M Bucks Jigging Pole

Post Thanks / Like

Prayer Request Reel Suggestions for B n M Bucks Jigging Pole

I need some suggestions on what kind of reel this pole will take. I would like throw a bait casting reel on it if possible but I am not to certain it is setup for it as Cabelas website doesn't really indicate what kind of reel the pole is compatible with? Suggestions? Also what would be the benefit to going with a 12 or 14 foot pole over an 8 or 10 foot pole? I am planning on getting an 8 foot and 10 foot pole right now. I still have over $225 in gift cards (thank you southwest airlines) to use at cabelas right now so not to terribly worried about cost, just looking for some opinions!

Post Thanks / Like

I think a baitcaster will have trouble throwing a 1/16th, or 1/32nd oz jig. I also think you'll do fine, for now, with an 8' or 10' pole.

Post Thanks / Like

I like little spinning reels on them,my favorite is the Pflueger Trion in the smallest size.I do have a few of those little round mini reels from Bnm that work fine for holding line and they are very light.I do alot of vertical fishing and I like to use the longer lengths for increased reach,but other times the shorter lengths work just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive got an 8ft BGJP and I put a Pflueger President 30 size reel on it. It casts pretty good and has nice drag for random bigger fish.

Works nice but im curious what everyone else uses. Im thinking of using the pole more for dipping around brush this year (ive got a smaller light action for casting) so the reel probably isnt as important.
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use the baitcasters for jigging, just hold the pole out over what I'm fishing around and hit the thumb bar and let the jig fall as far as I want then raise and lower just a bit. For casting, on another rod, I use Pfluger both Trion and President
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I just want to point out that with the newer lighter materials being used lately, the balance can benefit or suffer if you don't get a good match. Were it mine I would take it to a store, in your case Cabela's, and try several different offerings. The composite ones will be very different from those with more metal. A heavier reel may make it balance just right. I extend my index finger and look for it to balance very close to there. Holding the tip of a pole up all day is tiring and may make you miss a fish or two.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I have bait casters on all of my rods that are 10' or better. I use them for more vertical fishing, spider rigging, pulling. IF I cast I use a spinning reel. I dont go for the most expensive reels.I use the quantum reels from Academy 20.00 and the 30.00 reels from Wallmart for my baitcasters and they do fine.