Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: A little confused...

Post Thanks / Like

Default A little confused...

So my wife just got me a new Humminbird Helix 5 DI gps unit for the front of my boat for my birthday. Guess she figured since I was 40 now, I needed the color to see better. My question: in all my years of fishing, and in all my years of fishfinders, NEVER BEFORE have I had a fishfinder come with a "transducer exchange" paper in it. Am I missing something? I am going to mount it on the bottom of my trolling motor. Do I need to exchange it for some reason? It is new! Someone help me out!

Thanks in advance.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The HELIX 5 DI comes stock with the transom mount XNT 9 DI T ...

You can exchange that transom mount xducer for the XTM 9 DI 25 T trolling motor puck ...

It has the same 2d and DI piezoes but with added shielding for possible RFI ...and it is the trolling motor housing style puck ...

Call HB before you open the mounting hardware bag to be eligible for the exchange program ...

What should I do if I need a transducer other than the transom mount included in the box of my Humminbird unit?

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you will want to exchange it for the one designed to be mounted on the trolling motor. It is made to fit and has extra shielding to combat interference found in some trolling motors.
    Rickie and I were typing at the same time
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Dang it! too late;I just purchased the same unit this afternoon from Academy and opened the bag.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep these guys are right, if mounting on the trolling motor then you will need to exchange it. I have the helix 9 si GPS and didn't do any reading on it (wasn't aware of exchange option). Mounted the transducer on my tm and get some interference when tm is running. Works fine if I'm drifting and keep my foot on the pedal to keep tm head straight. So I either have to get right transducer for tm or mount the transducer I have on the transom of the boat. I'm going to mount on the transom this afternoon I do believe.

Post Thanks / Like

so why wouldnt they just supply the shielded version in the first place ....it would work for both applications right ? or i am over thinking this issue ?
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes dfar LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

the trolling motor puck won't work on the transom
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using the transom xducer on my TM and find it works fine. I have the helix 7.
    Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

It will also depend on if this your only unit on board OP. I'm going to switch my 9 to transom mount so I can cruise around the lake at 5-10mph looking for fish. This is the only unit I own, so the tm mount won't do much good if your trying to cruise and locate any schools at faster speeds with your outboard. I will eventually buy another unit separate for the front of the boat mounted with a trolling motor transducer and keep the other unit for the transom mount for higher speed searching.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snubbys View Post
    Yep these guys are right, if mounting on the trolling motor then you will need to exchange it. I have the helix 9 si GPS and didn't do any reading on it (wasn't aware of exchange option). Mounted the transducer on my tm and get some interference when tm is running. Works fine if I'm drifting and keep my foot on the pedal to keep tm head straight. So I either have to get right transducer for tm or mount the transducer I have on the transom of the boat. I'm going to mount on the transom this afternoon I do believe.
    Call HB with your TM interference issue ... They work with customers every day solving RFI issues ...

1-800-633-1468

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor
    Likes Snubby, Hanr3 LIKED above post