PDA

View Full Version : Trolling Motor Question...Too Much Power??

slabbandit
02-01-2007, 09:14 PM
I am probably going to update my 16 ft. Tracker Panfisher's trolling motor this Spring. I'm pretty sure that I am going to stay with a foot control Minn-Kota. Right now I have one of the old 28 thrust, steel shaft Minn-Kotas.

I was wondering what you guys thoughts were on putting a 55 thrust on my boat. I usally just run my trolling motor on high to move from one brushpile to the other since a lot of them are 100 yds or so apart. Right now it just takes too long to do it, especially if there is a head wind.

I have one of the old Minn-Kota Maximizer units on my boat so getting it to run slow enough should not be a problem.
Would there be any problems going to a high powered trolling motor on a small boat such as mine??

fishdoc
02-01-2007, 09:39 PM
No Problem, A 55 Would Be Ideal On A 16footer.

ceb
02-02-2007, 12:03 AM
I think that you're on the right track, Slabbandit. I've got a 40 thrust on my 1448, and I absolutely wouldn't want anything less than that. Plus, from looking at your past photos, it seems that y'all aren't too shy of those brushpiles right out in the middle of the wind.

Fishpole
02-02-2007, 12:54 AM
i have a 65 minn kota auto pilot and have needed it to stay on a brushpile, have 16.5 G3 about the same boat size and weight. Times i've wished i went a little higher and a 24 volt system to fish longer in a stiff wind. Seems running a bigger motor at a lower speed uses less battery or so i've heard.

crappiefarmer
02-02-2007, 08:56 AM
Get all the power you can afford for the number of batteries you use. If you can and you have room, go 24 volt. CF

RockMan
02-02-2007, 12:51 PM
I have an 04 Panfish. It came with a 48lb thrust. It pulls the boat along good I think. It is a Motor Guide.

DRPEPPER
02-02-2007, 03:50 PM
I am probably going to update my 16 ft. Tracker Panfisher's trolling motor this Spring. I'm pretty sure that I am going to stay with a foot control Minn-Kota. Right now I have one of the old 28 thrust, steel shaft Minn-Kotas.

I have a 16' panfisher as well. It didn't take long for me to tear up the original trolling motor in the stumps. I don't remember the thrust I bought; but, it is the largest tiller 12 volt minkota made. Going tiller sure made more room for me up front. The second best thing I ever did was to put a foot button in it for the power. Now I don't have to reach up and think about how far to twist it every time I want to go. I bought a 4' extension at Academy for it.
I still hate trying to keep it over brush facing the wind. I haven't learned the trick to hold her steady. I am looking forward to running across you this spring on Nimrod.
DP

fishin3
02-02-2007, 04:47 PM
I went from an old Evinrude foot trolling motor about 30 lb thrust to a Minn Kota 55 lb thrust foot control. Love it. It is on a fiberglass boat in the 16 ft range too. If I had room for a second battery I would have got a bigger trolling motor. Like some have said before get the biggest one you can afford to get. You probably will never hear someone say that they have too much motor but too little motor. And that is on either end of the boat. Just my two cents worth.

ceb
02-02-2007, 06:11 PM
One tip, Slabbandit. If you want to use your old Maximizer, you are gonna have to stick with a 12V system. I don't think that they work with 24V trolling motors. Just something to think about...

TITELINE
02-02-2007, 10:44 PM
I have a 56 on my xpress. run low, run silent. DO IT.....Keep It TITE

slabbandit
02-02-2007, 11:54 PM
Hey CEB, I was also considering a 70 thrust 24 volt since I have 2 huge AGM batteries in my boat. That's a good point though about the Maximizer. I don't know either if you could use it on a 24 volt system.
Nimrod is kind of like Maumelle in the respect that it does not have very many places to duck out of the wind. I will say that I don't believe that it gets as windy as Maumelle.
Some of my best trips have been on windy days. I've had to run my little 28 thrust on high almost constantly to keep me over the brush. I don't know if the rough water hides the boat from the fish or what but I've sure done good in the wind at times.:)

ceb
02-03-2007, 10:10 AM
Hey CEB, I was also considering a 70 thrust 24 volt since I have 2 huge AGM batteries in my boat. That's a good point though about the Maximizer. I don't know either if you could use it on a 24 volt system.
Nimrod is kind of like Maumelle in the respect that it does not have very many places to duck out of the wind. I will say that I don't believe that it gets as windy as Maumelle.
Some of my best trips have been on windy days. I've had to run my little 28 thrust on high almost constantly to keep me over the brush. I don't know if the rough water hides the boat from the fish or what but I've sure done good in the wind at times.:)

Hey Slabbandit, this old post may help you some. I never really did find a definite answer about the compatability of the Maximizer with 24V. Hope this helps some. http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=10669&highlight=maximizer

magnum500
02-03-2007, 10:18 AM
I have a 55 lb. Motorguide foot control on my Lowe 1652. It works great. I also have a 35 lb. Minn Kota tiller on a 12 foot canoe. Gets that little canoe moving across the water.

Billy2
02-03-2007, 08:20 PM
I ran accross this information from Cabela's trolling motor buyer's guide.
The size & weight of your boat translates into your need for power (thrust)
and endurance. The basic rule of thumb for determining the amount of thrust
you need five pounds of thrust for every 200 pounds of weight. Don't forget
to include the weight of your boat's contents in the calculation.To be sure
you have enough power, take the boat's estimated weight and add in its
maximum weight capacity.
Example: 1,000 pound boat, 700 pound boat's content.
1,000 + 700 divided buy 200 = 8.5 times 5 = 42.5 pounds of thrust.

Generally speaking, if you have a boat that is over 16 ft. and you are a
daylight to dark fisherman, you,re going to want at least a 24 volt system.

weldcraft
02-03-2007, 10:43 PM
you can never have too much power....i have a 55 lb thrust on a 1448 flatbottom and wouldn't settle for less motor. i can run all day on 1 or 2.

frank lawhead
02-04-2007, 09:00 AM
Its Easy To Get One To Small--but Real Hard To Get One With Too Much Thrust---:) :)