Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lights for winter fishin?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Lights for winter fishin?

Gotta complex situation here.

Just wanted to know how many of you used lights at night during winter with success.

One of the lakes I regularly fish (Truman) has gotten outta control..it's 15 ft high and MUDDY. Forget that one.

The other, Stockton, is about 10' high, water temp around 42 and clear. Clear being about 7' visibility I suppose. All the winter cover has gotten DEEP because of the lake level. Now, cover that was 20' deep (a key depth here) is obviously 30' deep.

Yes, I imagine the fish are still in those 30' depths to a degree or suspended over the cover, I know this cause I caught some scattered fish 30-40 ft deep the other day. But my question is;

Do you suppose I could take a light out on these winter fish in cold water and get them to come up and bite? My first stop, if so, would prolly be a bridge pillar or two cause it's easy to stay on them at night.

Whadda ya think?
    'Carpe Diem' does not mean "fish of the day."

Post Thanks / Like

Man it must be nice to be able to put in. TVA does not believe in leaving water in the lake in the winter. Most of the ramps are almost dry in the winter just the opposite for you I guess.
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

Post Thanks / Like

Give it a try IT might work. I have done it in the LATE fall with the submersable light and have done great, just make sure that you are over fish but i am sure you know that. And if you attatch lights to your boat occasionaly drop a few hand fulls of oat meal it falls slowly and reflects light guite weel.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

drop a little cornmeal for the baitfish. If you draw the bait the crappie will come. I think.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

hey CA, get yourself a good anchor and drop your lights in the water. things will start poping for you. we night fish year round here in sc and i wouldnt want it any other way. some nights are better than others, and with a little night time on the water you will start finding some pretty good spots. the only time i dont really care about settin up at night is when the water is muddy. I just dont favor those conditions, but usually on most resivoirs you can find a fairly clear spot to fish, even if the main lake is muddy. the back end of the creeks and the upper part of the lake will start to clear first so that would be a good place to try and beat the mud at its own game.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...