Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha any good / 4 stroke okay?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha any good / 4 stroke okay?

I guess the the three brands I grew up knowing are Johnson, Evinrude, Mercury. What about the Asian brands? I would think they have not been in the marine business as long as others. But, Honda and Yamaha, in my mind, might be great brands? What about Suzuki? I don't know about Tohatsu.

Any concerns with any of those?

If I were to buy a new boat, it would likely be with a 90hp - 150hp engine. I think a top speed of 40-50mph is enough for me.

Secondly, a friend, who is a fantastic bass fisherman and seemingly knowledgeable, made a comment recently that surprised me, said don't buy a 4-stroke, they are having trouble with them. Said a friend is a mechanic and said they are having trouble and it had something to do with ethanol. But that seemed odd. Ethanol problems have nothing to do with 4-stroke only, right? I have heard great things about 4-strokes, mainly how quiet they are. But I guess they are heavier? Do you like 4-strokes?
    ~~~
    Bill

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I never had any problems with 4 strokes. I have had Yamaha, Suzuki, 3 Merc, and of course a Coleman. I use E0 fuel. Ethanol is nothing put a political ruse.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes jusanothajoe, wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Tohatsu is a super motor.
    Oh I could wrestle a monster fish

Post Thanks / Like

Have a Yamaha f115lb and it's great. From talking with the bass guys I know most opt for a 2 stroke still to keep their speed up and weight down a bit since they tend to run those big motors. Yamaha sure seems to be the most common 4 stroke around here anyhow. 4 stroke does tend to be a bigger motor and bit heavier compared to a 2 stroke. Something to keep in mind, at least the case with mine, the block is same size on 115 and 150. I could have spent a little more and gotten more motor for basically same weight. Wish I had now cause I am having a hard time gettin the speed I would like.

Post Thanks / Like

My Nissan 4 stroke hasn't has one single issue, and I'm still wearing it out 5 years later.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I just bought and rigged a new Excel Bay Pro 203. I deeply researched every 4 stroke motor on the market. I kept finding Suzuki to be at the top of most every category. I bought my boat with a 140 Suzuki and while I've put less than 20 hours on it, it has been seriously impressive.

Bill (BRM) at Big River Marine in West Memphis claims to have sold hundreds of the Suzukis and they just don't come back for warranty work.

My boat weighs 1550 pounds unrigged. I put 5 batteries in it, 3 are golf cart Trojans. Fully rigged, 2 people, water in the livewell I can top out at 44 mph on GPS.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes whackmaster LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

07 suzuki 140....love it...gas mileage is unreal

Post Thanks / Like

I've found that most people who are very loyal to one brand, or are the type of individual that think what they have is the "best" are more apt to try and tell you something that might not be accurate. If Ethanol was an issue in 4 stroke motors, your car wouldn't run right. He may also be referring to the fact that Evinrude is the only manufacturer still making motors in the U.S.

That being said, almost all others (Mercury, Nissan, Tohatsu, Suzuki, Yamaha) are, for the most part, made in Japan. Many believe that the motors are actually created or assembled in the same plant. I don't know about that either way, what I do know is that I have owned Mercury, Yamaha, and Suzuki, and see no major issues with any of them. They all have their own unique issues from time to time.

Based on what you were describing, I own a Suzuki 140hp motor. My boat will go up to 150hp and yes, Suzuki does make a 150. I chose a 140 because it is built on their small block engine which is used in the 90hp and 115hp. It is 62 pounds lighter than the 150hp big block motor. Produces similar HP and uses less fuel. Combined with the weight reduction over the 150, I see higher speed and performance out of the 140hp over the 150 counterpart. It pays to do the homework.

For me, I'm not fan of the E-tec/ direct injection motors. Not because I think they are bad, but because I think they are loud. I spend days on the water, trolling, tournament fishing, and running as much as 50 miles in a day. I cannot stand the noise! E-tec is creating their HO (high output) motors now that are basically a tuned down version of their larger motors. So, they produce a 130 HO which is basically a tuned down 150. This appeals to people because you are paying for a 130hp but getting closer to a 150.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Defiantly go 4 stroke.
    Listing them as I would have them
    1. Mercury or Yamaha its a tie
    2. Honda or Suzuki its a tie

All great motors
    The only reason Honda and Suzuki are 2nd, Finding certified mechanics to work on them is hard. Just because a dealer sells them, doesnt mean their mechanics are cert to work on them.
    I'd buy a Suz or Honda in a heart beat if there is a local cert mechanic to work on them.
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain
    Likes grumpy k LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Barrelslime nailed a key part, be sure you have somebody local that you trust that can do the service work on the engine you choose.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast