HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sometimes there really is a need for a float with soft plastic lures!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sometimes there really is a need for a float with soft plastic lures!

Name:  mojo and float _ winding hills mar 23 2016.jpg
Views: 6172
Size:  42.2 KBName:  favorite color_zpsudr5kkes.jpg
Views: 2670
Size:  61.4 KB

After doing some gardening yesterday afternoon, I decided to go fishing considering the ideal conditions of warm weather and cloudy sky. When I got to the lake, the wind averaged about 10 mph or less and I tied on the baits pictured.

The bite was light half the time and not easily detected so there were a lot of misses. Out comes the float for ha ha's only once having done well with it. Note that the lures have very thin straight tails that quivered even when the lure is paused. The key in getting the lures to do their thing was the constant ripple on the surface!

Last time I used the float under similar conditions I remember using a certain retrieve: drag a foot / twitch the rod top / pause and repeat. I found the lures did not work just sitting in one spot under the float like when using live bait. The effect made the fish grab and maybe even miss the lure, but with a 2nd rod twitch, the float was pulled down beautifully allowing a rod sweep & fast-retrieve of the reel handle hook set.

Crappie (some over 10.5" - large for this lake), decent perch, sunfish and a small bass struck, hooking themselves after feeling the resistance. Over 40 fish were caught in a few hours. Also key was the use of a 1/32 oz jig head that glided under the moved float moved slowly and the ability of using a heavy float thereby allowing casting long distance into the wind.

I cast 360 degrees around the boat, anchoring for half hour, catching a dozen fish at a time and then moving 20 yards, anchoring again. The lures thereby did their stuff in 6' over a flat and in 9' in deeper water. The schools were mixed except when a got into a school of 8" crappie. Regardless of size, fish had no problem pulling the float down less than a foot, allowing an easier detection and hook set then using no float. I believe calm water might not have been an effective use of the float having tried it many times in the past with soft plastics, but yellow perch just finished their spawn and all species were excited in the 49-51 degree water - in March no less in the northeast!

What a year thus far!
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 03-24-2016 at 03:37 AM.
    Likes Snubby, Snoball, chaunc, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

There is always a time and a place for a float, strike indicator, cork, bobber or whatever you may choose to call them. Any time and Any place. I prefer a slip float though instead of a fixed float so I can change depths quickly without putting kinks in the line from pinching the float in place with springs..
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes Cane Pole, TN. WATERSHED, whackmaster LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Good report. Floats certainly have their time & place. Boy.....wish I could do some gardening right now! LOL! Got another 3 weeks before the ground will be totally free from frost and workable.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

That's how I started crappie fishing as a kid. I always have a float rigged up. Also use a marabou jig with a float some time.
    Likes Crestliner08, shipahoy41 LIKED above post
    Thanks Spoonminnow thanked you for this post

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Love fishing a small jig under a bobber. I've taken some really big crappies this way.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen chaunc in the "bobber action" mode. He mode 'em down.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes chaunc, whackmaster LIKED above post

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    I've seen chaunc in the "bobber action" mode. He mode 'em down.
    Sure wish i was healthy enough to get back down there to fish with you and Ms Brenda. Getting better by the day tho. Maybe late may?

Post Thanks / Like

Thill makes a wooden pinch on that will sail a flat mile in the wind and is REALLY fun to watch dance ...might try one sometime ...
    sounds like it was fun trip to me .....good job
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes Spoonminnow LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Prior to this year I've never really had any luck with the float and jig either. I saw Russ Bailey using ice fishing floats with 1/48 jigs when shooting docks and decided to give it another try. I've been having much better luck with the light combo using 1/48 or 1/32 jigs with Southern Pro stingers or BG Itty Bit tipped with wax worms.

Trout-Magnet-EZ-Trout-Floats

Post Thanks / Like

My absolute favorite way to crappie fish... Always start with a float/jig then try other methods if not successful
    Likes shipahoy41, Spoonminnow LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast