Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: External or Internal GPS Antenna?

Post Thanks / Like

Default External or Internal GPS Antenna?

Just wondering what the pros/cons of an external GPS antenna vs an internal GPS antenna are. Which one works better, or is their performance the same?

Thanks in advance,
    deep-v
    GO STEELER'S!

Post Thanks / Like

Deep-v,

I started out with a Garmin with an external antenna. I upgraded to two more Garmins with internal antennas. I have seen no difference in receiving signals from the satellites. I like the internal antenna because you do not have to worry about wires and breaking off the antenna.

Donald

Post Thanks / Like

There is no difference in either or, they make the both becuause you cant mount a internal antenna in a dash mount. And if someone is not mounting it in the dash, then you can get by with the internal this just saves extra holes in the boat.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

The first 332c I had was an internal ant. Had to send it back because it would not pick up. Got an external instead.

Post Thanks / Like

if you are mounting your unit in a spot that dont have a clear line of sight to the satelites, i dont think an internal antennae aint gonna work to well and youd be better of going with an external antennae mounted in a spot that has a clear view to the satelites.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

The only diff. I've seen is with an external you run the risk of knocking it off.
    On the other hand. I like the external antenna in case something happens to it, I don't have to send the whole unit back in for service.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies folks. Sounds like one with an external antenna would be the best way to go.

Thanks again,
    deep-v
    GO STEELER'S!