Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for an open boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for an open boat

I am trying to find a boat manufacturer that builds a 16’ open boat with a side console. When I say open, I mean with no or little front or rear decks. I want something with a Vee bow and some Vee to the hull. I live close to Kentucky Lake and a flat bottom and/or a flat bow makes getting out into the main lake a scary proposition. I have a bass type boat now that I am rebuilding, and I am hoping to find something I can buy as a bare hull and have my motor and controls moved to. A thorough search of the boat builder’s sites shows lots of boats with BIG decks but I have not found one that has small or no decks. One maker’s boats are ALL deck – that is the only thing that is not decked is the foot well in front of the running seats.

Can anyone point me to a manufacturer and model that might come close to this type of boat?
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

Post Thanks / Like

I had a 16/52 F&F that I think would be what you are looking for, it did have a deck but jus big enough for two seat bases. They are custom built in Arkansas and I believe will build to your specs.
    My current boat Express XP200 is the same but in a 20 footer. I have 3 bases on the front deck but when I spin to the back I step into the bottom of the boat and not on the deck.

Post Thanks / Like

Look at the Lund Alaskan and Crestliner Kodiak.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

Post Thanks / Like

Call aad welding in Peoria Illinois

Builds the best I ever seen

Builds it how you want it

Post Thanks / Like

Check out Xtreme boats. They built a boat to my specs. Built like a tank.....everything they do is custom and will build it anyway you want. I am not affiliated with them in anyway. I wanted a boat built like I wanted and couldn't find anything close to me that had exactly as I wanted. Nothing special about my boat....it is just built as I wanted it to be. I also checked out Blazer Boats in Missouri....another great custom builder. They sell through Troutt and Sons in ST.James, MO.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Have you checked Lowe Boats, they have a open catfish boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Most any of the modified vees that john boat manufacturers have will fit the bill. Get one designed for a tiller and add an aluminum console and use the rear bench seat as the seat for the console to save space.

I agree with you that most boat mftr's want to put too much deck in the boat. I want a big open boat for duck hunting with a side console and anything with a console in it from the factory they steal the floor space by movign the console forward and put in a place for seats.

Post Thanks / Like

Lund Alaskan. They come in 16,18,20 foot models with either tiller, side console or full windshield. I have a 16 foot tiller model with a Honda 50.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for the Alaskan. Wish our Lund dealer would bring that line in. Really considering the 16' tiller myself. That or the Tracker Pro Guide 16 tiller. Like you I want some realestate in the cockpit.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out Crestliner. I have an 18x60 Retriever ordered. They have 16 ft available also. It is a bare bones boat and is extremely well built. There is no rear deck and a small one up front. I ordered a simple console for it from A.K McCallum along with a couple of storage boxes. I am rigging it to fit my needs. Good luck.
    I may be getting older but I refuse to grow up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast