Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Anyone use Mr Crappie 4'6" Underspin ($24.99)? Quality?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone use Mr Crappie 4'6" Underspin ($24.99)? Quality?

I know it's just $24.99 so I should not expect much. Saw a bunch of these at local Field & Steam store. Fiddled with a bunch of them and I would say 50% had bad reels. Anit-reverse not working. Drag not working. Trigger not working. Too bad, I was planning on picking one up for my boy who is turning 5 yrs old next week. Just curious if anyone has had experience using these? I would hope something that Mr. Crappie puts his name on would be something that you would not have to worry about disappointing your kid with. Well, what say you?
    "My other car is a plastic canoe"

Post Thanks / Like

If your set on getting him an underspin get the Pflueger President. Even they have issues but seem to have less than others.

Post Thanks / Like

Good rod, terrible reel

Post Thanks / Like

Can't comment on that combo, but ... I picked up a 13 Fishing "Ambition" 4'6" spinning rod. I bought it 1) because it's a medium light rod, much stiffer than an ultralight. and 2) it was $20 (regular price $30). I stuck a Lews Wally Marshall spinning reel on it and really like it. It's going to be great for shooting docks too. That rod with a good underspin reel would be a nice combo.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

Post Thanks / Like

If he's just turning five, I'd get him a 10' telescopic pole from BnM. It's simple, and he'll catch fish with it.

Post Thanks / Like

We have a few 4.5' Shakespeare Micro Series in under spin, spinning and spincast. Some are 5 years old with no problems, yet. All have a list price of $30, walmart has them for $20, the rod is $18.

Post Thanks / Like

No disrespect to any of the guys who get their monikers on rod and reels and while they may or may not deserve it but I stay away from them. For years I stayed away from Zebco 33"s because they really screwed them up but they redesigned them again and fixed the problems with the line tangling up in the nose cone. Picked up an outfit for my grand daughter 2 years ago Ladies 33 classic outfit and it works Great!!!!!!! Took the Cajun red line off and put Trilene XL on it.

33® Spincast Reel - Reels - Zebco
    Likes Hat55 LIKED above post