Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Using a Spinning reel on a Bait Casting Rod

Post Thanks / Like

Default Using a Spinning reel on a Bait Casting Rod

Has anyone ever used a spinning reel on a Baitcasting rod? The Rod company sent me the wrong rod, and I just realized Ive been using the wrong kind of rod. I only use spinning gear. So now I have a spinning reel on a baitcasting rod. Its a Quantum rod. It seems to be working fine. Still casts well. Does anyone have any experience with this? Wondering if I should see if they will change it out for me.

Post Thanks / Like

That would depend on the reel seat and how large the stripper guide is. If it has the finger rest on the bottom of the rod it would be uncomfortable. As for having a smaller stripping guide it will affect accuracy and distance. Id send it back and have the proper rod that you ordered.

Post Thanks / Like

The spine is off 180 degrees, too. You can use it, but you would be much better off with a rod built for spinning.
    Likes bowdenja LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

It WILL break under strain because of what shadboy said........... and if you have my luck it will break at the worst possible moment.........
    Chuck the aggrivating stuff.......... Just go Fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Cant imagine it working fine, lol I would think it would not cast well at all, and the spine being backwards would have to feel strange. Send it back.
    Philippians 4; 13, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Post Thanks / Like

If the rod company sent you the wrong rod send it back

Post Thanks / Like

If you look at a spinning rod you'll see the first line guide up from the reel is very large, this is needed to allow the line to spoil off the reel with limited interference. On a baitcaster that first guide will be very small and can reduce casting distance. Having said all that, I've seen people with mismatched pole/reel like yours and it worked just fine for them