Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on fishing lights

slabtroller Guest

Default Question on fishing lights

How many of you use them, what one do you recommend and why?

I have only tried fishing under lights a couple of times with ZERO to show for it. Is it the light I've used or what?
    Thanks all....

Post Thanks / Like

This could bring alot of different opinions out - we usally catch more fish with the lights - we use all types floating and submersible - and some folks swear by the white lights and others believe in the green lights - from my personal experience I have seen more fish caught by the green lights - some folks want let you on their boat with a green light though - you just have to try different things for your area
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

now this is a subject I know about. Use your lights at night. lol
    My favorite fishing is at night using lights. Bridges are my favorite places to use lights. The lights attract the baitfish. That attracts the crappie and sadly the stripers. I use a combonation of green and white lights. I put a floating headlight off the center of the boat. I then drop submersible green flouresent on each end of the boat. I drop one to about 10' and the other about 20'. The green light penetrates the water better than white. The floating light seems to concentrate the bait around the center of the boat in a giant swirl. As always crappie are very depth sensitive so set out several tightlines at different depths. 12' is a good depth here in Alabama but I have seen them as deep as 25' and shallow as 3-4'. I use shinners and tuffies on most lines but I also put jigs out on the unlighted side of the boat. I like the hair jigs for this because I am sitting still(most of the time). They give more movement with the up and down motion of the boat. I also drift fish with the same light setup in deep water out near the main channels and dams during the heat of summer. It works for me but you may find it different on your lake. I Also fish those dock lights people have on our lakes around here. I approach slowly making long cast into and across the lights.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lights

Quote Originally Posted by crap-king
    This could bring alot of different opinions out - we usally catch more fish with the lights - we use all types floating and submersible - and some folks swear by the white lights and others believe in the green lights - from my personal experience I have seen more fish caught by the green lights - some folks want let you on their boat with a green light though - you just have to try different things for your area
    I have have and use all 3 types, the floating, submersible and the green lights. Have not caught any more fish with either one type. I will say I get more minnows that come to the green light, I would also say I get more with the high power submersible light that I use over the floating type, but I am in the market for a new floating light now, so will keep using all 3 plus the old Coleman at times.

I think I need to learn more about night fishing and I think that would impove my catch more than the type light I use. I do like night fishing, like the quite time on the water.
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

slabtroller Guest

Thanks, and now for my next question regarding the light issue...
    I have heard many times that to fish right in the light is not preferred. I am told that one needs to fish the "edge" of the light. What the heck does that mean?
    I have both the white and green and cant seem to find fish no matter where I sink a bait.
    Now trolling, thats something I know VERY well... LOL
    Regards...

Post Thanks / Like

the "edge" would be the area of the water that is the limits of the illumination of the light you using. some nights the fish seem to hit better in the lighted water, and some nights they seem to hit better in the dark water. last night we was catching slabs in the lighted water and in the dark water. id put a line in the lighted water and one in the dark and start there and see which one pays off the most. in all my years experience of night stalking, ive found theres no hard and fast rule of which place the baits should be put. It shouldnt take you long to figgerer which part of the water they prefer. I prefer the qbeam starfire submersible lights. the floaters have also worked well for me. Ive not had any sucess with the green lights myself, but theres plenty that have. try em both and see what you prefer would be my suggestion
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rango is rite-on.

Buy and try. It mostly ends up being personal preferences anyway. All will work, but patience works best. I love nite fishin, especially on the New Moon and Honey with me. haha
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    Buy and try. It mostly ends up being personal preferences anyway. All will work, but patience works best. I love nite fishin, especially on the New Moon and Honey with me. haha
    How do you fish under that romantic moon with honey?

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rango
    the "edge" would be the area of the water that is the limits of the illumination of the light you using. some nights the fish seem to hit better in the lighted water, and some nights they seem to hit better in the dark water. last night we was catching slabs in the lighted water and in the dark water. id put a line in the lighted water and one in the dark and start there and see which one pays off the most. in all my years experience of night stalking, ive found theres no hard and fast rule of which place the baits should be put. It shouldnt take you long to figgerer which part of the water they prefer. I prefer the qbeam starfire submersible lights. the floaters have also worked well for me. Ive not had any sucess with the green lights myself, but theres plenty that have. try em both and see what you prefer would be my suggestion
    here is a good photo showing you the "edge" of the light where it meets the dark water
    Last edited by rango; 12-19-2008 at 06:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rango
    here is a good photo showing you the "edge" of the light where it meets the dark water
    In this photo there was 4 boats anchored in a circle with all boats having
    lights out, and in the center of this photo is dark water wherre no light was penetrating, the "dark water" with the edge tween the dark and lit water clearly visible

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast