Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tackle storage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tackle storage

I am trying to get a little more organized with my fishing stuff for the boat and for pond fishing.
    How does everyone organize stuff? Also how do u store your plastics, terminal tackle (weights, roadrunners, jig heads, etc) and hard baits like cranks?
    How do u deal with rust and moisture on stuff?
    Likes Lonnie84 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread uaagr this will be good to learn of some different tricks that folks use, if any one has pictures showing how they do something post those as well.

One thing I learned just the other day from "Tom 513" for spider rigging but could be applied to most any type of fishing is "You should pre-tie your rigs ahead of time, keep them on a pool noodle, use a 5 gallon bucket dedicated to storing the rigs, take a magic marker and label the ends of the noodles so you know what size weights are on each piece of noodle.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm shocked I thought we would really get some discussion and pics of genius storage ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie84 View Post
    Great thread uaagr this will be good to learn of some different tricks that folks use, if any one has pictures showing how they do something post those as well.

One thing I learned just the other day from "Tom 513" for spider rigging but could be applied to most any type of fishing is "You should pre-tie your rigs ahead of time, keep them on a pool noodle, use a 5 gallon bucket dedicated to storing the rigs, take a magic marker and label the ends of the noodles so you know what size weights are on each piece of noodle.

Im glad I could help Lonnie, but truthfully I learned all that here on CDC sharing info and tips makes all of us better anglers and thats what CDC is all about.
    Id like to hear some more storage and care options too, I have used wd-40 in the past on pricey bass lures and spoons, after all it contains fish oil and displaces moisture.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not know how to post pics on a chrome book.All I have.My phone is a work phone don't use it for personal stuff and don't have personal smart phone.

But I will tell you I use one tackle box ( I use to use tackle bags but not so good in rain and found myself digging to much) It's a Plano guide series similar to the 777101,but they don't make my exact model anymore. Anyway I put the jig heads I use a lot under the top clear lid so I can access them easy. The compartment under it I take out the spinner bait rack and put jars of crappie nibbles and two rolls of line in there. The larger compartment next to it I put a small electronic scale, reel oiler, a split shot assortment, and some bags of the top five or six jig bodies I am using at the time, some bobbers, and whatever else you want. The flip down compartment under that I take out the plastic boxes and I put a big ziplock bag full of assorted jig bodies. I sorta like to keep the bodies in the original package they seem to do better. I just get it out and sort through it if I start looking for a different jig body I don't use a lot. The small compartment on the right I usually put extra jig heads ,hooks,bobber stops,etc. in there.

I have a small bucket like thing I set right next to me that I keep nibbles,forceps,scissors,nail clippers,little set of diag cutters, bait scent spray, multi tool, and blakemore reel magic in. Also a package or two of the bodies I am using at the time. Any thing I cut off to try something else I just throw in the bottom and sort it out later in the mancave. Have to get the little bucket out of a hard rain if it starts.But I want something works fast right beside me I can just reach in.

I have another box I use for bass fishing ....I leave it at home a lot...usually catch a lot on my jigs anyway. But sometimes like to breakout the baitcasters and throw a worm or crankbait,buzz bait or something.

I also have some of the zipper fabric bags with organizer plastic bags in them...they are for overflow or just a bigger assortment of jigs....I throw them in if I am going for trip of a few days, or just want to make sure I don't not catch something for lack of something to throw at em.

Also have some of the carriers that just hold some of the plastic organizer boxes for overflow lures and terminal tackle. Might throw one of those in on a long trip.Also rotate tackle around once in a while. Force myself to use something been sittin idle once in a while.

For river catfishing I usually just use a 5 gallon bucket full of stuff with an organizer that fits in there for terminal tackle. Rest for sinkers,dehooker,line,knife,etc.

I also have a multi pouch tool bag with a big open center and multi pockets around. Its for packing in stuff to a remote location for bank fishing but also take it in boat too sometimes. I rig it so two , two piece rods broke down with reel, will stand upright in it and velcro with a rod wrap to the handle.That way I throw it over my shoulder and have everything I need over one shoulder to walk into an area...that thing holds a lot.

I got some other stuff too....but how is that?

And when I get back from a trip that I think or know tackle has been exposed to moisture I set it in front of a dehumidifier with the lids open for a day or so. Try to set stuff on the side to dry before you put it back in a closed container. Again The small bucket I keep beside me is where things go until if I do not want to put them back in there place right away. RUST IS BAD. If you get some lightly rusted stuff put it in a small bowl of CLR cleaner for a little while and rinse it. If rusted bad pitch it. You need a dehum machine if you fish rain a lot or have wet basement or something.

Post Thanks / Like

when bank fishing I use a hunters belt with several different inter-changeable pouches, floats in one jigs in small plastic boxes in another and so on. Strap it around my waist and it's one less thing I have to carry in my hands.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tom 513 View Post
    I have used wd-40 in the past on pricey bass lures and spoons, after all it contains fish oil and displaces moisture.
    Actually, Tom .... NO, WD-40 DOES NOT contain "fish oil" (and never has). It's a petroleum base oil & solvent combination (basically mineral spirits & oil). A quick look at the MSDS for WD-40 will bust the myth of any "fish oil" being in the product.

And just an FYI ... the manufacturer does not recommend nor condone the use of WD-40 as a "fish attractant". ( Fun WD-40 Facts - Read WD-40 Myths, Legends and More! )

... cp
    Likes Snubby LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

LOL first trip out to Oregon salmon fishing in the Columbia River those guys sprayed so much WB40 on their lures there was an oil slick on the water. They swore it worked, but it does not have fish oil in it.
    Worse than that was my Mother, that I caught spraying her elbow with it. Someone had told it it had all kind of stuff that would help joint pain. Mom was born in 1911 and once she learned something there was no un-learning it, despite my pleas for her to stop spraying petroleum on her skin.
    She lived to be 98 so I guess it didn't hurt.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Likes Tom 513, Snubby LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Alright alright WD-40 myth busted, I did a little Googling and You guy are correct it does not contain fish oil, but I will tell You back when We raced dirt Go Karts, it was the poor mans tire prep, washed tires after each run dry and apply wd-40 man the tires stuck. Back to keeping your metal lures clean... what if anything does everyone use on there lures? I had toyed around with the water proof boxes, but I am now thinking if they get a little air they would dry quicker but thats still not the cure.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tom 513 View Post
    Alright alright WD-40 myth busted, I did a little Googling and You guy are correct it does not contain fish oil, but I will tell You back when We raced dirt Go Karts, it was the poor mans tire prep, washed tires after each run dry and apply wd-40 man the tires stuck. Back to keeping your metal lures clean... what if anything does everyone use on there lures? I had toyed around with the water proof boxes, but I am now thinking if they get a little air they would dry quicker but thats still not the cure.
    Drying them off BEFORE putting them back in the tackle box is step one. And putting some silica packets IN the tackle box, may also help some.

... cp
    Likes Tn Johnboy LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast