Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rod & Reel Combo for my kids

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod & Reel Combo for my kids

I recently got a Pflueger 6925 with a B'n'M 7' Super Sensitive. I love that combo and want to set up my kids (12 & 15) with something similar. I'm just worried that the 7' rod may be too long for them. So I'm looking at the Buck's Graphite Crappie Spinning Rod (link below) but can't decide on the 5.5' or 6.5'. Or am I over-thinking it and should just get them this combo from cabelas?

https://www.bnmpoles.com/p-38-bucks-...nning-rod.aspx

http://www.cabelas.com/product/pflue...s&Ntt=pflueger

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would get the 6-6 light action combo with the 6925 reel and let them grow with it. Both of them should be able to handle that just fine.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with the same as you have. 6" is not going to amount to a hill of beans. Besides they are learning things every day and using a 7' rod should be an easy task to get used to. Give them every advantage available to catch fish and enjoy. Aggravation on the water from lesser quality gear is a recipe for disaster. Not that the combo's from Cabelas are inferior but using the same as Dad will invoke confidence even before the bait hits the water.
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 14 yr old and I got him a 6'6" rod B&M and quantum reel and he is great with it.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

They should be able to handle a 7' rod at that age. If they can handle using a spinning reel, and are careful about how they cast, they shouldn't have any problems with the longer rod.

One sure way to find out is to let them take turns using yours in the back yard (or setting in the boat at home) with a practice plug or a bobber tied on ... teaching them how to use the rod/reel without injuring anyone (or anything in the boat).

Even if this is all brand new to them, if they are truly interested in fishing & learning how to use the equipment, they should be quick learners at that age. Kids are smarter than we usually give them credit for being, speaking from my own experiences as a kid. I started out fishing straight over the side of the boat with 6' rods & spincast reels at <10yo and was casting jigs by 12yo ... then baitcast reels around 16yo. I think I was probably in my 20's before I even started using spinning reels very often, and they were no problem after having used the others starting out. And I probably could have started with a spinning reel, but my mentors (Grandparents) didn't use them, so I never had access to them while initially learning how to fish.

... cp

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the input so far. I bought mine something good but not expensive until they showed the ability to take care of it and then they got better stuff. I agree with HS in that the confidence goes up quickly with good gear.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Aggravation on the water from lesser quality gear is a recipe for disaster.
    Thanks for the advice. This is exactly why I'm getting all of us good new stuff. We've been dealing with some old rods and reels the last couple of years and it was starting to become aggravating. I took them both out in the yard and let them cast at a bucket. They both handled it just fine. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

I also believe in starting kids off right. And that 7' SHSS combined with a Pflueger 6920 (notice I did not say 6925 which is a bit heavier and not at all necessary) will last them most of their lives and perform flawlessly. JMO.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."