Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why like crappie fishing over bass / do you usually catch crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why like crappie fishing over bass / do you usually catch crappie?

Got into fishing again a couple of years ago after a many year hiatus. I don't know what the problem is but I haven't really caught them consistently like I used to. I mostly bass fish. I used to fish for crappie more and caught some great stringers in spawn and post-spawn springtime.

This year, haven't tried crappie but few times and haven't done much good. As for bass, same thing. This year (pre-spawn), I catch 3-5 bass per outing. In years past, I caught more than that and would have some sensational days. I haven't had a sensational day in the past two years.

I am trying to learn more about crappie fishing. I just like to catch fish, period. I even bought a nice fly rod last year for bream (and bass) and had some fun with that. So, liking to catch fish, whatever it is... might move into more crappie/bream fishing and less bass unless I figure something out on bass, lol. I don't care what fish I catch, I just like more numbers.

So, if you used to bass fish but just fish for crappie, why?

Do you usually catch several crappie or do you have a lot of days you catch 1 or 2 or none?

Do you fish lakes or small ponds?

P.S. FWIW, I am also entertaining the thought that maybe I just don't care so much for pre-spawn, spawn bass fishing. The majority of my bass fishing successful days, it was post-spawn, and most of it hot weather fishing. I am also considering concentrating my bass fishing on small ponds. I seem to do better there more consistently. But I would love to again figure them out on some larger lakes, they are easy to get to and launch.
    ~~~
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by livemusic View Post
    I've always preferred crappie and bluegill. I enjoy using light tackle, which is perfect for C&B. It will also catch bass. (Despite what you read in the bass mags, you don't need a pool cue rod and 60# braid to catch bass.) They're a lot more fun on light spinning or fly tackle.
    Likes Lonnie84, skeetbum, NJcrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I fish for Walleye, Bass, and Crappie, the exact same efficient way, with the exact same rod and reels, exact same line, and exact same swimbaits.
    The main difference is that each species has it's preferred locations, cover, etc.

The key to learning Patterns is to read, listen, and research, as much as possible!
    Walleye are a cold water fish, they become active at my home lake at 40 degrees in the late Winter/early Spring...they are shallow now because the shad are moving into the rocks for that extra 2 degrees of Warmth. Walleye will spawn at 45 degrees at depth, and then take 2 weeks off to heal because they beat each other up so badly! Then they'll GORGE like little pigs before summer....and they'll stay out of the sun!

Bass are considered a warm water fish, they are barely moving now at 40 degrees, they will slowly feed, presentation has to be slow and easy for them (make the lure look injured or dying). As the water warms, they ramp up!
    Same with Crappie right now...feeding is slow and methodical, it picks up as the water hits 50 at depth, then they head for pre-spawn areas to feed, males are normally building at 55, and females star moving at 60, spawn is over by 70 degrees and females move out first to gorge and hit summer water! A lot of variables also!

IMHO, To be a good fisherman, you have to have basic knowledge of all of this, and be able to adapt to conditions that effect these patterns!
    Last edited by INTIMIDATOR; 03-17-2016 at 12:05 PM.
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I used to Bass fish and did pretty good on the tournament thing but shoulder surgery and arthritis have put and end to that! I took up crappie fishing about 10yrs ago because you can fish for them without a whole lot of casting. I have also found it very relaxing just being on the water doing that whether I catch any or not. No more pressure and running and gunning and that does my PTSD a world of good. I'm blessed to have a key to some of the best private lakes in AL that are loaded with Crappie but there's still days they might not bite or when they do they might like one color for 30min, turn off and then you have to figure out what color they want now. Some days they may want minnows and another day they won't touch one and will bite jigs. They are a challenge but in a relaxing way. Relax and you will enjoy it, it's all about just being out on the water!

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team
    Likes Tony the Tiger, Crestliner08, jagcb750 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by livemusic View Post
    Got into fishing again a couple of years ago after a many year hiatus. I don't know what the problem is but I haven't really caught them consistently like I used to. I mostly bass fish. I used to fish for crappie more and caught some great stringers in spawn and post-spawn springtime.

This year, haven't tried crappie but few times and haven't done much good. As for bass, same thing. This year (pre-spawn), I catch 3-5 bass per outing. In years past, I caught more than that and would have some sensational days. I haven't had a sensational day in the past two years.

I am trying to learn more about crappie fishing. I just like to catch fish, period. I even bought a nice fly rod last year for bream (and bass) and had some fun with that. So, liking to catch fish, whatever it is... might move into more crappie/bream fishing and less bass unless I figure something out on bass, lol. I don't care what fish I catch, I just like more numbers.

Do you usually catch several crappie or do you have a lot of days you catch 1 or 2 or none?

Do you fish lakes or small ponds?

P.S. FWIW, I am also entertaining the thought that maybe I just don't care so much for pre-spawn, spawn bass fishing. The majority of my bass fishing successful days, it was post-spawn, and most of it hot weather fishing. I am also considering concentrating my bass fishing on small ponds. I seem to do better there more consistently. But I would love to again figure them out on some larger lakes, they are easy to get to and launch.

Live Music...I think if your having a hard time deciding which to fish for, you ain't a crappie man. Stick with the the easy to catch bad tasting green carp fish, and go to a doctor about your taste buds....

Post Thanks / Like

If it swims in the lake, I don't discriminate. I enjoy bass and crappie fishing equally and like how different they can be. Heck, pound for pound, I think bluegill put up the best fight on an UL rig. That said, I don't particularly like fishing bass or crappie during the spawn mostly because I don't do as well. My preferred fishing season is May through November. Yea its hot and miserable, but that's what ice water is for!
    A man remembered never dies.
    Likes fishervet LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I still fish for bass, but less & less these days, as the arthritis has taken hold. I truly enjoy using light & UL rods, fine diameter lines and light lures for crappie, yellow & white perch, as well as bluegill. The fight is every bit as exciting to me as well. The older I get the more dedicated I'm becoming to the panfish arena.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes fishervet LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Having fished for Bass for years I got tired of fishing heavy tackle, grinding on and on for 6 bites a day, and inattention would cause to miss 2 or 3 of those. Even then I began downsizing and leaving they heavy stuff home. Crappie and Bluegill have always had a place in my heart that grew even stronger once I picked up a fly rod. Since learning the patterns and methods to catch Crappie consistently I enjoy them the most, especially on the table. I also like to teach and pass on what I have come to know through others generosity, and that helps keep my second seat in the boat full more. I still revert and fish for others but the Crappie have my attention. Heavy tackle still doesn't get my attention much anymore but it's still in the rack, never know when you might stumble into a gold mine. The surprise fish caught while Crappie fishing keeps me interested enough to make a trip without the rodholders and long rods.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Just buy some quality light spinning tackle and 6lb test line. Buy some 1/16 and 1/32 oz lead jig heads ,and some 1/32 oz and 1/16 oz roadrunner heads. Buy an assortment of tube and swimmer baits. Begin studying the lakes and rivers you want to fish. Remembering that the fish only use a percentage of the total water. Focus on shallow water at first.In a shallow body of water say maximum 8 or 9 ft, you explore the whole thing. In a lake say max 40 to 50 ft concentrate on water to 12 ft or so. On a deep lake say 100 or so feet focus on water up to 30 ft or so. Learn to make long cast and swim that bait over the cover that fish are using. Grass,rock,stumps,sometimes just the bottom,man made structure,brush.etc.etc. FIND the banks or open water areas they prespawn feed on....the banks they bed on...the places they post spawn recover....the places they summer...the places they fall feed....the places they winter.

If you become proficient in that....you will catch thousands of fish of a lot of different species. On a good day on a good body of water you are going to catch a hundred fish or more in a day. Somedays you may catch bass,bluegill,crappie, catfish,perch,drum,walleye,sauger,redear,white bass,hybrids....etc,etc.

Later you can expand your other techniques and expand your knowledge to chase more specifically one or the other species. And target other fish in different presentations wherever they are. But once you learn the finesse presentation described you will always use it some. For some people it is so addictive it is hard to stop.

You can catch fish in water with ice floating in it to water to warm to comfortably swim in. Year round. Add in using a bobber once in a while and go ahead and buy you a long pole to dangle the bait in front of them at times.

Don't forget the crappie nibbles.They catch everything that swims.

Check out this article by Mike Iconelli ,though I was never a fan of his because I always thought him to emotional and loud. He knows what he is talking about here. Your just expanding that to even smaller baits at times to focus on smaller fish.

https://www.bassmaster.com/blog/fine...verlooked-lure

Get started....you will learn a lot more along the way

Post Thanks / Like

I like crappie for several reasons ....mostly because they seem to keep me guessing 365 days a year
    always enjoyed ketchn fish though and have tackle to cover pretty much all of them ....
    depending on where and when I might be after something different though
    just don't actually target anything much except crappie and gills these days ....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast