Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question: bait fish and vegetation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question: bait fish and vegetation

I went to local lake today on the way home from work. I have never did crappie fishing before in this lake (started crappie fishing last year in the Chattahoochee river). The lake has two fishing piers. I have seen people catching crappie before from the piers, and the piers were surrounded by vegetation.

Today I did not see any vegetation around the piers and did not see any bait fish.
    I cast tube jig from the piers but no bite.

Question: are the fishes still in deep in that lake.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GA ANGLER View Post
    I went to local lake today on the way home from work. I have never did crappie fishing before in this lake (started crappie fishing last year in the Chattahoochee river). The lake has two fishing piers. I have seen people catching crappie before from the piers, and the piers were surrounded by vegetation.

Today I did not see any vegetation around the piers and did not see any bait fish.

It's certainly possible ... but, it's also possible that the vegetation was poisoned out (or not yet emerged) and the fish have no reason to come there. Black Crappie will use vegetation stands to spawn in, and may even hunker down in them during the heat of Summer (because it's cooler under there, and the oxygen levels are higher). The dense growth of pads/grass/moss is also home to small fish & their fry, and various "minnow" species ... so it also offers a buffet along with security & shade.

... cp
    Likes Tony the Tiger LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot CP, I will go back again to check out the place. I used to catch good size bluegill and catfish from that lake and there was always dense growth of vegetation. I am hoping vegetation will be back soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Try different areas of the lake. Maybe you can see some brush poking up out of the water? Or maybe a steep, rocky bank? Even a dam with rip rap. Rocks warm faster in spring and brush will attract crappies the same as weeds. On steep banks, toss out your jig and count down to five the first time, 7 or 8 the next time, maybe 10 next time, etc. until you get bit. Reel slower than slow, too.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GA ANGLER View Post

If piers were only cover Crappie could be using piers for cover .
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

The lake has two fishing piers and lots of bolder at the dam area, I am fixing to go back in few days and check the bolders around the dam, also will check the piers again.