Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long does a fallen tree hold crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How long does a fallen tree hold crappie?

I seem to be finding that after around 3 years, my honey hole fallen tree, in 20+ feet of water, will quit holding crappie. I figure that it is because the smaller branches eventually break off. I've seen trees that have produced for me totally disappear over time. It sure is a bummer to no longer pull 1-2lb crappie from a tree that produced for 2-3 years. What do you think?

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by TapOut64
    I seem to be finding that after around 3 years, my honey hole fallen tree, in 20+ feet of water, will quit holding crappie. I figure that it is because the smaller branches eventually break off. I've seen trees that have produced for me totally disappear over time. It sure is a bummer to no longer pull 1-2lb crappie from a tree that produced for 2-3 years. What do you think?
    I agree - it would definitely be a BUMMER !! But don't give up on the tree, just because the small branches have gone. Now, maybe if we are talking Cedar or other fir trees ... yes, they end up being just a "stick" in the water after a few years (standing or fallen). But - hardwoods generally last a lot longer and have far more large branches, providing cover for more than just a few years.
    One thing you can do - is to drop some more wood around that tree. The fish already know where it is, and are used to coming to it. "RE-building" could keep them coming back and hanging around for years to come. Plus it will eventually be found by the newer year classes of fish, and they may get in the habit of using it - so that a few years from now, you'll have your Slab Hotel at full occupation, again. .............luck2ya ........cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TapOut64
    I would be adding some nice pinoak, cedar, ironwood bush, bamboo or most any other type of cover to your honey hole at least once a year to keep it in good shape. The winter time, when the leaves are off, is the best time to sink brush otherwise it can mess up a producing hot spot for a few months while the leaves sour.

Also, if you add brush near by in deeper and shallower water you can usually extend the time the fish hold in that area and possibly keep them there year around.

It's a lot of work sinking brush but it's well worth it.

FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake
    Action Fishing Trips
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have seen people stick poles in the water and then come back later and fish around them. I don't know if it worked or not, but they swear by it.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

This is one of, if not, the first thread I ever started at Crappie.com. Hard to believe it's been nearly 8 years. I remember the tree that lead to this question. I comment on pulling 1lb-2lb crappie off it but don't recall ever pulling a 2lb'er off any tree back then. I know I would remember if I did.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

You should rejoice that you had that little honey hole. A buddy called wailing that he had lost 2 bass that were "at least 8 pounds. I told him the same thing, "rejoice that you had that great experience." How nice it must have been to know right where that tree was located.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TapOut64 View Post
    This is one of, if not, the first thread I ever started at Crappie.com. Hard to believe it's been nearly 8 years. I remember the tree that lead to this question. I comment on pulling 1lb-2lb crappie off it but don't recall ever pulling a 2lb'er off any tree back then. I know I would remember if I did.
    Hopefully you took the advice and added some brush and you're still pulling crappie from that honey hole!!

Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought....
    When I fish around the base of a cyprus tree, in the root area, and catch crappie...
    The size of the roots don't change that much over a short time such as 2 to 3 years.
    And, the crappie are always being replaced after I catch one or two from each tree.
    I believe if a tree, root or stick up holds a crappie once and you catch it, it will be
    replaced rather quickly. Just my thought and experience.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tapout, Once a good place slows down on production you don't have anything to lose by "refreshing" it. On the other hand I have messed up a great spot by adding a lot more brush nearby. I would agree with Jerry B. and add a few more small trees during the "winter" only. I put in a big persimmon that had broken off during a storm and it was covered in leaves. It actually repelled fish for a year as it soured. The next year it produced some of the nicest strings of big slabs I have caught to date on this lake!
    Tapout, did you take any sideimaging snapshots of your tree?
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Wow this thread has been brought back from the dead lol, George I know what you mean, I can take one look at a laydown at the river and tell if crappie are holding on it, they do like alot of dense tiny branching structure, after all the terminal branches break off and its just thick main branching they move on.
    "Kids who hunt and fish dont steal and deal"

2012 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2012 Buggs Bash Champion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast