PDA

View Full Version : Long Line Trolling 101! - My way of paying it forward to the CDC Community.

lcookie
03-13-2016, 04:47 PM
There is only so much you can learn from reading books and articles. Sometimes you just need to see it with your own eyes. I put this video together to help ease the learning curve for those starting out on the longlining journey. My way of giving back to the community that helped me get where I am now.

https://youtu.be/urV9BM0y-J8

Joey Clark
03-13-2016, 05:05 PM
Good video thanks for sharing

Ranger190
03-13-2016, 05:36 PM
Good video... what type of net was that? I thought you said Eagle but I could find any Eagle nets on a google search.

lcookie
03-13-2016, 05:41 PM
Good video... what type of net was that? I thought you said Eagle but I could find any Eagle nets on a google search.

EGO Nets

skeetbum
03-13-2016, 05:54 PM
Good video. Lots of good info there.

tenncrappie
03-13-2016, 06:08 PM
thanks for sharing.

Crestliner08
03-13-2016, 06:24 PM
Excellent video. Great teaching tool. Thanks!

Ranger R61
03-13-2016, 06:27 PM
ego net

stepmm
03-13-2016, 06:32 PM
Great video. Thanks for taking the time to make it. My second year to try crappie fishing and new techniques.

lcookie
03-13-2016, 06:55 PM
Great video. Thanks for taking the time to make it. My second year to try crappie fishing and new techniques.

That right there is what I did it for

Tony the Tiger
03-13-2016, 06:58 PM
Great information

cevans
03-13-2016, 07:17 PM
Great video. Liked the way you tied your double jigs.

LittleJohn
03-13-2016, 07:59 PM
Good job,enjoy watching. Thank you for sharing.
ittleJohn

blueball
03-13-2016, 08:23 PM
good info,thanks for sharing:cheers2

scrat
03-13-2016, 10:09 PM
Wow! Great video. Thanks for sharing all the longlining fishing how to information.

JigMaster
03-13-2016, 11:52 PM
Good stuff...very informative. Makes me want to try this long-lining!

dkb23
03-14-2016, 09:44 AM
Great info. Thanks for the Sunday evening entertainment. Thanks for paying it forward.

Gobob
03-14-2016, 09:49 AM
Nice video thanks for sharing.

cause
03-14-2016, 10:06 AM
nice video.
I just started learning long lining late last year, and have been struggling with keeping lines untangled during transport. I need to try your method of transporting rods, that looks like it should solve a lot of my issues.
thanks for posting

Mike1234
03-14-2016, 10:24 AM
Great video. Love the way you have your boat set up. I'm a little ocd so I like organization.

fishervet
03-14-2016, 11:06 AM
thanks for the info. will definitely use it the next time out....

lcookie
03-14-2016, 12:33 PM
Good stuff...very informative. Makes me want to try this long-lining!

do it Do It. DO IT!

lcookie
03-14-2016, 12:43 PM
nice video.
I just started learning long lining late last year, and have been struggling with keeping lines untangled during transport. I need to try your method of transporting rods, that looks like it should solve a lot of my issues.
thanks for posting

I think you will find it useful in your travels.

fishervet
03-14-2016, 01:51 PM
I think you will find it useful in your travels.were you on allatoona when you made the video....i fished there alot back in 92 to 96......

lcookie
03-14-2016, 02:12 PM
were you on allatoona when you made the video....i fished there alot back in 92 to 96......

No that was Lanier but Allatoona is my second home lake. I fish it often.

lowe175
03-14-2016, 07:52 PM
Great video man! Where you on west point? That creek looks familiar.

pop
03-14-2016, 09:32 PM
Good video, thanks for sharing, Pop

RCC
03-14-2016, 09:54 PM
Enjoyed the video. Thanks.

ShowmeCrappie
03-14-2016, 10:30 PM
I have spent hours on hours watching videos trying to pick up all the info I can on longlinning, I would like to shake your hand!! The best video I have yet to watch, great presentation, information and I absolutely loved the tips you offered on transporting rods, line coloration etc etc. Kudos to you :)

I have done it once with a guide and became hooked that day! Since then have gotten chest deep in it, boat, electronics, supplies its always a new purchase when I go to town!! lol
I even have 360 but wishing I had opted for the Terrova or Ulterra first and then added 360, boat came with a Maxxum which as you stated is hard to manipulate for long line trolling. I'm looking at mounting options now to utilize my 360 on a electric steer troller.

Once again.....GREAT VIDEO and THANKS for taking the time to make it and share it. Nice job

lcookie
03-14-2016, 11:12 PM
I have spent hours on hours watching videos trying to pick up all the info I can on longlinning, I would like to shake your hand!! The best video I have yet to watch, great presentation, information and I absolutely loved the tips you offered on transporting rods, line coloration etc etc. Kudos to you :)

I have done it once with a guide and became hooked that day! Since then have gotten chest deep in it, boat, electronics, supplies its always a new purchase when I go to town!! lol
I even have 360 but wishing I had opted for the Terrova or Ulterra first and then added 360, boat came with a Maxxum which as you stated is hard to manipulate for long line trolling. I'm looking at mounting options now to utilize my 360 on a electric steer troller.

Once again.....GREAT VIDEO and THANKS for taking the time to make it and share it. Nice job

You are more than welcome!

Great video man! Where you on west point? That creek looks familiar.

Lanier

lcookie
03-14-2016, 11:17 PM

Google Perfect Troller. That little bushing will make long lining tollerable until you get the new TM. I used it when I started. It aint perfrct but better than nothing. Should be like 30 bucks.

ShowmeCrappie
03-14-2016, 11:33 PM
Google Perfect Troller. That little bushing will make long lining tollerable until you get the new TM. I used it when I started. It aint perfrct but better than nothing. Should be like 30 bucks.

Thanks again! Gonna check into that.
One thing I probably missed and had questions on was the amount of line you had out ? I watched your other video noticed you guys were casting.

lcookie
03-15-2016, 08:06 AM
Check out this thread. A little ways in several members go over distance/depth. Overall it is one good cast behind the boat. 30 to 50 ft.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/327301-long-linners-step-inside/ (http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/327301-long-linners-step-inside/)

skiptomylu
03-15-2016, 09:02 AM
Good job on the video! You and I do long lining a bit different, but I still think it's the best spring and fall fishing! I don't use soft plastics and mostly use a marabou Roadrunner, but now is were the real difference comes in. I use one pole and it's in my hand. I started long lining when there was no name for it other than trolling. It was back in the late 1970's when I started doing this. I stumbled into trolling. One day is was very windy and I was having a hard time, now before I go farther my main targets back then was bass, but I never passed on crappie or Bluegills. Anyway I was very agitated with the wind and just got old fashion mad and just pulled out a Roadrunner and started drift fishing. Soon I started catching some big ol slabs and and it hit me that I could do this even if there was no wind, just use my Troll Motor. SO from that point on long lining has been my preferred way of crappie fishing in spring and fall.

Now you never set the hook, but I do and every time. I know there has been times where the crappie were just barely taping the jig and if I didn't have a 10' rod in my hand and didn't set the hook as long and far as I could I didn't catch up with them. However once I started setting the hook with a huge swing, I got them! I use a 1/32 Oz jig and if I am smart enough to pick the right color that jig may be the only one I need that day and maybe the next few days??

I do have a lot of soft plastic, but seems I just can not put down the marabou, LOL! Also remember I am an old bass guy so I have used soft plastic all my life.

For me the most important thing in my way of long lining is the depth contour as well as speed and if I can stay on that contour I find them I will have a very good day! I use .4 MPH to .8 MPH.

Still good stuff in the video and glad you made it. Also wish I would take time to do the videos I would like to, just seems I lose the time. Also like you a good cast and I am off and going!

Skip

Gabepeeps
03-15-2016, 09:21 AM
I've always thought there weren't enough good informative longline videos out there. Being organized is top priority when longlining. I suggest having a few vertical rod holders to put rods in when you either have a tangle or catch multiple fish at once which is often. When you have a few 10-16ft poles out of the water, it's easy to break one if there just lying on the floor. Broke a few myself until I put some on my boat. I'm going to add some rod resters from driftmaster up front for my 18, 14, and 11ft rods. It's hard just laying those across your lap. I fish with him often have learned a lot from him like the vertical rod holders. I also wrap the line around my poles the same way and have yet to have any tangles. Good video man!

lcookie
03-15-2016, 10:49 AM
Good job on the video! You and I do long lining a bit different, but I still think it's the best spring and fall fishing! I don't use soft plastics and mostly use a marabou Roadrunner, but now is were the real difference comes in. I use one pole and it's in my hand. I started long lining when there was no name for it other than trolling. It was back in the late 1970's when I started doing this. I stumbled into trolling. One day is was very windy and I was having a hard time, now before I go farther my main targets back then was bass, but I never passed on crappie or Bluegills. Anyway I was very agitated with the wind and just got old fashion mad and just pulled out a Roadrunner and started drift fishing. Soon I started catching some big ol slabs and and it hit me that I could do this even if there was no wind, just use my Troll Motor. SO from that point on long lining has been my preferred way of crappie fishing in spring and fall.

Now you never set the hook, but I do and every time. I know there has been times where the crappie were just barely taping the jig and if I didn't have a 10' rod in my hand and didn't set the hook as long and far as I could I didn't catch up with them. However once I started setting the hook with a huge swing, I got them! I use a 1/32 Oz jig and if I am smart enough to pick the right color that jig may be the only one I need that day and maybe the next few days??

I do have a lot of soft plastic, but seems I just can not put down the marabou, LOL! Also remember I am an old bass guy so I have used soft plastic all my life.

For me the most important thing in my way of long lining is the depth contour as well as speed and if I can stay on that contour I find them I will have a very good day! I use .4 MPH to .8 MPH.

Still good stuff in the video and glad you made it. Also wish I would take time to do the videos I would like to, just seems I lose the time. Also like you a good cast and I am off and going!

Skip

This is the best part about trolling. No 2 people do it the same but we all have results.

short grub
03-15-2016, 05:27 PM
Thank you sir for your time making this video and the great information you have shared

you have a nice boat and a great set-up

again thank you sir

callen
03-15-2016, 06:22 PM
Thanks!

captdave
03-15-2016, 08:16 PM
Thanks lcookie...appreciate you taking the time to produce such a helpful video. Really helpful for a shiny new crappie fisherman like me.
One question....how far do you usually let your line out/cast behind the boat?

lcookie
03-15-2016, 09:21 PM
Thanks lcookie...appreciate you taking the time to produce such a helpful video. Really helpful for a shiny new crappie fisherman like me.
One question....how far do you usually let your line out/cast behind the boat?

30-50 ft pulled at 0.7-1.2 MPH.

Gabepeeps
03-15-2016, 09:26 PM
Check out this thread. A little ways in several members go over distance/depth. Overall it is one good cast behind the boat. 30 to 50 ft.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/327301-long-linners-step-inside/ (http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/327301-long-linners-step-inside/)

Post #33

Grayu
03-15-2016, 09:29 PM
Thank you sir for taking time to make the video. I also have watched lots of videos on long lining and yours is the most informative.

banjo picker
03-16-2016, 01:32 AM
Excellent video!! My son and I just started back fishing last year after taking a couple of decades off. He's only 15 and loves fishing for them slabs. I THOUGHT I knew a little about long linin' but you've probably forgot more about it than I'll ever learn! Thank you for all of the great tips and explaining them to those of us that just don't know. We fish mostly on the south side of Atlanta, Jackson and West Point, but if you ever get down our way let us know and we could meet up some time. Thanks,
Banjer Picker

lcookie
03-16-2016, 05:02 AM
Excellent video!! My son and I just started back fishing last year after taking a couple of decades off. He's only 15 and loves fishing for them slabs. I THOUGHT I knew a little about long linin' but you've probably forgot more about it than I'll ever learn! Thank you for all of the great tips and explaining them to those of us that just don't know. We fish mostly on the south side of Atlanta, Jackson and West Point, but if you ever get down our way let us know and we could meet up some time. Thanks,
Banjer Picker

Will do.

BigRiverMarine
03-16-2016, 09:35 AM
Waiting on video 201. Need to know line out to depth. How to gauge the depth and how much line to put out would be very helpful info. Need to see you casting out and setting up your poles.

Great video for equipment. Now show us how to use it please. [emoji4]

lcookie
03-16-2016, 05:13 PM
:ThumbsUp

Firehyd
03-16-2016, 07:58 PM
Great job! You have a nice set up there..

usafret99
03-16-2016, 08:50 PM
Great video. I've been doing this about 20 years and love it. I just use 6 rods out the front of the boat, but have been itching to buy a new boat so I can set up like you. Getting older and want more room around me. Currently in a bass tracker. What kind of cooler did you say that was. Don't use minnows much, but when I do they are usually dead within a couple hours.

lcookie
03-16-2016, 09:11 PM
Engel Bait Cooler

marlinpruett
03-20-2016, 03:29 PM
Great video, Thank you.
I looked at the Davis web site and did not see the 1/24 jig, in fact I saw no crappie jigs. where do you buy them?
Thanks!

Gabepeeps
03-20-2016, 06:07 PM
Great video, Thank you.
I looked at the Davis web site and did not see the 1/24 jig, in fact I saw no crappie jigs. where do you buy them?
Thanks!

Hammonds Fishing. It's located in Cumming, Ga. I didn't find them on their site either. You may have to call and order them.

lcookie
03-20-2016, 10:57 PM
Great video, Thank you.
Thanks!

You will need to call Davis and order them over the phone. They don't have space on their website to post all their products. Ask for 1/32nd light wire crappie jig heads. They are 1/32nd before painting. After the paint coat they average out to be 1/24th weighted heads. Yeah I got the bug to think that deep about it.

Abu65
03-22-2016, 04:10 PM
Very well done. Thank you!

ad1974
03-22-2016, 07:17 PM
Great video,thanks for sharing your info.

DieselMike
10-12-2016, 02:38 AM
I really enjoyed and got a lot of education from your video, you did a terrific job of breaking things down. From a newbie wanting to get into long lining, many thanks!

lcookie
01-11-2017, 05:17 AM
Very well done. Thank you!

Great video,thanks for sharing your info.

I really enjoyed and got a lot of education from your video, you did a terrific job of breaking things down. From a newbie wanting to get into long lining, many thanks!

You're welcome. Its getting that time again for me. So ready!

knox_frog
01-11-2017, 09:37 AM
Great video. Appreciate you giving back

Boa3
01-12-2017, 11:14 AM
Very well put together video. Thanks.

Duckcomando
01-12-2017, 01:20 PM
Man that was an awesome video. Thanks for taking the time to make that. I was just talking to my brother the other day about long lining and we might try it on my lake at home as there are no stumps in it and nothing to hang up on.

oddan
01-14-2017, 11:04 AM
What a great job for someone who is just starting to fish this style!!! You do a very good job explaining why you do it that way..Now lets do a video on how to read the fish locator. I can find lots of fish but cant tell if they are crappie or not. One of the best if not the best I have seen...If you ever come to S. Illinois let me know....Thanks again,,,Out Door Dan

Gabepeeps
01-14-2017, 03:17 PM
What a great job for someone who is just starting to fish this style!!! You do a very good job explaining why you do it that way..Now lets do a video on how to read the fish locator. I can find lots of fish but cant tell if they are crappie or not. One of the best if not the best I have seen...If you ever come to S. Illinois let me know....Thanks again,,,Out Door Dan

Only true way to tell what they are is,by catching some. Other than that, it depends on your location and other factors.

lcookie
01-14-2017, 09:55 PM
Great video. Appreciate you giving back

Very well put together video. Thanks.

Man that was an awesome video. Thanks for taking the time to make that. I was just talking to my brother the other day about long lining and we might try it on my lake at home as there are no stumps in it and nothing to hang up on.

You all are welcome.

No trees and stumps are a blessing.

lcookie
01-14-2017, 10:13 PM

Gabe said it best. No way to know until you catch one or two. However, if you have a good understanding of the species in your lake you can narrow down the choices with educated guesses. And yes I have guessed wrong more than once.

Thanks for the comps on the video.

CrappieFlopper
01-23-2017, 02:19 PM
Cookie thanks for the show. You do a great job of getting things in order, I really liked the different line color. great ideal on that. but I cant find all of the colors ,may I ask where you get your different line colors from. again thank you for the show.

Gabepeeps
01-23-2017, 02:47 PM
You can normally get the hi-vis, camo, and clear line at walmart. Most stores carry Mr. Crappie line in all 3 colors. The Cajun Red line can be a lil hard to find as some places stopped selling it. I just bought 4 spools at BPS the other day. Pretty sure others will chime in on where else to look for the Cajun Red line.

Lonnie84
01-23-2017, 03:30 PM
Now lets do a video on how to read the fish locator. I can find lots of fish but cant tell if they are crappie or not. ,,,Out Door Dan

Here is a quick and easy way to know exactly what type of fish is below you, it usually takes all of about 3 minutes!

There are several models available I like the AV Micro Plus DVR-DT most people pay this much or more for fish locators, so it would only make since that after you find them you have a "Know-cator" on board to see if you want to spend your time fishing there.

Aqua-Vu - The Original Underwater Camera, Official Site Home, Ice Fishing Cameras, Underwater Viewing Systems including the Micro Series, HD700i, AV760, AV715, Multi-Vu (http://www.aquavu.com/)

lcookie
01-30-2017, 09:34 AM
You can normally get the hi-vis, camo, and clear line at walmart. Most stores carry Mr. Crappie line in all 3 colors. The Cajun Red line can be a lil hard to find as some places stopped selling it. I just bought 4 spools at BPS the other day. Pretty sure others will chime in on where else to look for the Cajun Red line.

Blue from Dicks and orange from Amazon.