Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Invasive Weeds ! What is being done in your area ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Invasive Weeds ! What is being done in your area ?

Hello guys and gals ! I'm new here but not to fishing.
    I see more and more lakes here in the south that are being taken over by nasty weeds.
    I hope to hear about some success stories from somewhere
    How goes the fight were you are ?

Post Thanks / Like

I think they're singing about it here you know the song let'em grow let'em grow let'em grow.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Several years ago(80s) KY Lake got a good crop of hydrilla and coon tail started. Fishing went crazy due to great spawns. TVA got their ears bent by some big shots and politicians who didn't want it around their docks. All of a sudden the weeds started dying in the lake all the while TVA was saying they wouldn't/weren't spraying to kill it. My wife and I were on the LBL side and witnessed an airboat with TVA decals with a spray boom that had to be 30 feet wide, spraying bay after bay. A lifelong friend of my wife's was one of the crew on the boat. Pretty soon the weeds were gone.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Here are good reads from a few years back with facts for some southern lakes. It seems they can't do much about it........and then there is the money issue....always about the money.
    TWRA Expert Weighs in on Milfoil Questions - and Response - Chattanoogan.com

Waging war on water weeds | Times Free Press

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Same answer here. Spray nuke em all and make a stinking mess of dying decomposing weeds. Finally seeing reports of a few places getting treatex with harvesters. Still a mess but not as bad to me anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

It really affects my enjoyment. Today it was coontail. Trip before it was hydrilla. Before that it was giant salvinia. All different lakes. It sometimes makes me want to stick with ponds and my pond jumper boat. Or, I do know of a couple of area lakes that are not bad in deeper water.
    ~~~
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    Several years ago(80s) KY Lake got a good crop of hydrilla and coon tail started. Fishing went crazy due to great spawns. TVA got their ears bent by some big shots and politicians who didn't want it around their docks. All of a sudden the weeds started dying in the lake all the while TVA was saying they wouldn't/weren't spraying to kill it. My wife and I were on the LBL side and witnessed an airboat with TVA decals with a spray boom that had to be 30 feet wide, spraying bay after bay. A lifelong friend of my wife's was one of the crew on the boat. Pretty soon the weeds were gone.
    If the weeds were around their docks back then, it is (will be about May) now. At least, if they have a dock from say, Richland Creek up to Cuba Landing. I have never seen as much grass as there was up around where I fish as there was last year. The big flood that happened over the winter swept it all down river and cleaned it out but there were literally trails cut in it across the big flats as the only way to navigate before that. There has to have been some chatter in Nashville about it after last growing season. It was unbelievable. Have you heard anything more about it?

Post Thanks / Like

here in wisconsin we have an invasive species called the rusty crayfish. it is said that this crayfish eats or destroys weedbeds, and is being named as the reason for several once high-profile walleye lakes downfall in the northwoods. i wonder if there is any way that this invasive crayfish could eliminate the weeds...and then the fish eliminate the crawfish?

Post Thanks / Like

We have Asian Carp, they eat everything. Weeds would be a nice problem...
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hanr3 View Post
    We have Asian Carp, they eat everything. Weeds would be a nice problem...
    be careful what you wish for ....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast