PDA

View Full Version : 797si

PieEye
01-31-2007, 07:53 AM
Has anyone purchased and used the optional Quadra Beam transducer with one of these units? Are they a "must have" option ?

TIA

TAE73
01-31-2007, 08:49 AM
I have purchased one but not installed it yet. The only reason that there is a need to install quadra beam is becuase of people install the si transducer in a spot that will be out of the water on plane. Most are doing this to protect the investment in the si transduer, a replacement one is 200 bucks. I would only install in a location like that if I fished a standing timber lake. You take a good chance of knocking it off. I plan to mount it in a location so it will be protected, I have a flasher to use will on plane. So I dont have the need for the quadrabeam. I do have a quadrabeam on a 37 on the front they are a nice transducer. I like the option that gives you the typical depthfinder view and the top looking down. If you dont know there is a yahoo group called sideimaging its worth the look at, lots of info on the all the si units.

PieEye
01-31-2007, 09:00 AM
I haven't locked down the original Dual Beam. From what I gather there is a veiw available with the quadra beam that checks 1/2 the depth left and right and shows structure to that side of the boat.

I read some of the stuff on yahoo. I am sure one of the bigger posters is a Hbird rep.

TAE73
01-31-2007, 10:15 AM
If you are talking about Doug V. I think he is sponsered by them and does alot of promoting for them.

It does show stuff left and right but nothing like the si transuders do. Its a 90 degree cone. In 10 foot of water it only see's 20 foot wide. It helps find structure by telling you if its left or right of the cone.