Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Great topic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great topic

What a great topic. I've been thinking about a kayak for two or three years to fish a small lake nearby and to take to the coast to fish right outside the first sandbar. I've been held back by my age (68) and my inexperience as I have never owned a yak. Plenty of boats but no yak. I think a yak would be ideal for small lakes and the type of coastal fishing I would like to do. I'm 6-2 and weigh in at about 225. I see there are others who are older than I am that are enjoying kayak fishing. I have an aluminum 18 foot bass boat for larger waters. What say ye, kayakers?
    ジェラルドの天候

Post Thanks / Like

Go for it! I'm the same age and weight as you and feel very comfortable in a yak. Just do your research and pick one you feel most comfortable with. Heck, test drive a few if possible. I have a Hobie Outback myself. There are many others out there that get really good reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

Choose one that has a stable hull design, weight capacity of 4 to 5 hundred pounds and tweak it to what is comfy for you to fish from. Lots of info on this thread with
    many innovative ideas to help your endeavor. I'm 73, have fished from several different brands of kayaks. Love my WS Ride 135, but would love to try a Hobie Outback
    too. Pedal power looks good too. Don't be a stranger to this thread.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Choose one that has a stable hull design, weight capacity of 4 to 5 hundred pounds and tweak it to what is comfy for you to fish from. Lots of info on this thread with
    many innovative ideas to help your endeavor. I'm 73, have fished from several different brands of kayaks. Love my WS Ride 135, but would love to try a Hobie Outback
    too. Pedal power looks good too. Don't be a stranger to this thread.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Well I've owned a ride 135 and thought it was the best....then I bought a Hobie Outback and thought it was the best.....Now I own a Hobie Pro Angler 12....what can I say, It's the best.
    Mike Barnett

Post Thanks / Like

I have two Wilderness System kayaks a Ride 115X Angler and the Tarpon 100 and I really like them both. The Ride is larger and therefore a little more stable but it also is heavier and why I often use the Tarpon which I can handle when alone much easier. I have heard many good things about the Hobie also, but for myself I really love paddling a kayak so the peddling feature doesn't appeal to me. Most people though seem to really like that feature.

There are many good choices, see if you can try some out or at least sit in a few to see what you like.

You might want to look at LL Bean because they have a 100% satisfaction policy so if you bought one from them and didn't like it you could return it with no hassle.

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate all the comments and advice. I live in a small town in North Mississippi and kayak dealers are few and far between. About the closest place to even look is Bass Pro in Memphis, therefore try and buy is really not a viable option. I've read and read topics on different yaks, and it's like everything else, everyone has an opinion. 90% of the fishing I will do in this kayak will be in a small, probably 20 acre lake for panfish close to my house and maybe twice a year if I can figure out how to transport it, a trip to the coast and some inshore fishing just past the first sandbar. I really like the pedal option, but the cost is prohibitive, and used are almost non existent.
    ジェラルドの天候

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GWDawg1 View Post
    therefore try and buy is really not a viable option. .
    That's one big reason I went with LL Bean when I purchased my first Kayak. I wanted to be able to use it and be able to return it if I didn't like it. I have dealt with them many times and their 100% satisfaction - no questions return policy is fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like

I found a slightly used Hobie Outback. I pick it up on Friday. After a good bit of research I think I'll like the pedal drive.
    ジェラルドの天候