PDA

View Full Version : What made a dramatic improvement for you catching them?

livemusic
03-11-2016, 10:22 AM
I am again thinking I don't care for early spring fishing, lol. Both this year and last year, it has been tough to catch them. Actually, all year last year and the year before was not that great. Decades ago (I took a long hiatus), I used to catch good quantities of fish. I like to eat them sometimes, yes, but I just like to catch quantity of decent size fish. If you discovered anything that has really improved your catching, what was it? A certain lure, rig, lake, technique or just what? TIA!

Locator79
03-11-2016, 10:34 AM
Simple as it sounds, I don't think anyone can argue. Time on the water is #1.

ET Fish
03-11-2016, 11:18 AM
Simple as it sounds, I don't think anyone can argue. Time on the water is #1.
Yep. Knowing where they are "supposed" to be based on time of year, water temps, etc., is a good start. Exploring and experimenting and have fun. The chase is almost as fun as the catch! Almost!

M R Dux
03-11-2016, 11:28 AM
Going to a Terrova (remote control) trolling motor and high end electronics. I troll 90+% of the time.

samjoe
03-11-2016, 12:23 PM
Most definitely the topographic map with gps on my sonar unit.This one thing has increased my success on all the species i pursue.

scrat
03-11-2016, 01:05 PM
I can most definitely say it has been because of this web site Crappie.com. I have read and asked all kinds of questions that would have took me years to have learned on my own. And I also want to say thank you to Slab for this site and the moderators for keeping it family friendly without arguments. Another thank you to all the good people on this site that answer my questions and help others here on this site. Crappie.com is #1

chaunc
03-11-2016, 01:44 PM
Reading about their habits and spending time on the water trying what i read.

trypman1
03-11-2016, 04:17 PM
I love the chase and trying to figure out the hard bite. Slowing down and good electronics have helped me most. Most of my info comes from crappie.com!! Gotta love it.

CrappiePappy
03-11-2016, 04:21 PM
For me .... it's been the addition of rod holders & 14' rods to my normal arsenal of jig casting equipment. It's added a whole new dimension of possible ways to fish.

... cp :kewl

Erin Brewer
03-11-2016, 05:14 PM
Watching reading and learning. Never count out anything with a crappie! You may catch them in 10 foot of water one day and in 2 foot of water the next. Learn your prey. Find there food and you will find them.

wasilvers
03-11-2016, 05:37 PM
This book In-Fisherman Crappie Wisdom: Handbook of Strategies: Al Lindner: 0053038100037: Amazon.com: Books (http://www.amazon.com/-Fisherman-Crappie-Wisdom-Handbook-Strategies/dp/0929384512/)
I went from a guy who only caught crappie by accident to one who can find them very regularly. If i find myself not catching any, I scan the book (yes I keep a copy in the boat) and move to find them. There are only about 50 pages that matter, and only 2-3 per type of lake you are on/season you are in.

skeetbum
03-11-2016, 06:08 PM
Having been bitten long ago by the fishing bug I have pursued fish in every way that I could afford to. I switched to Crappie as my primary target about 9 years ago. I had light tackle, sonar, and a power drive TM already. I found CDC in late '07 and began asking all the questions a newbie would and the ball began to roll downhill. Help from many on many subjects sped the learning curve and the desire to chase Crappie hasn't slowed down yet. I guess that the folks here being patient with me and doing whatever it took to get their point across in answering my Q's was the biggest help. The locals in Middle Tennessee were always there and showed me how, where and why the fish did what they did. The Middle Tennessee Crappie Club came from that group and the help they offer goes on still today.

huntinslabs
03-11-2016, 06:12 PM
This site as far as Crappie fishing. Lots of great information and support from the sponsors. Grizzly jig was one of the best bits of info I gained early. Horrible tackle selection locally here.

Tony the Tiger
03-11-2016, 07:12 PM
Any subject on crappie fishing you have a question about type it in the search bar at the top of the page and you'll find a treasure trove of information

doggone
03-11-2016, 07:59 PM
Reading bassmaster magazine for about five years back in the 90's. By reading the articles from the fisherman about how they managed to catch fish. I found that much of what applied to bass also applied to other fish.Especially those fish like crappie,and bluegill that have some things in common with bass.

These guys....fished year round....regardless of conditions....they relentlessly studied lakes and the biology.They equipped themselves with every advantage they could conceive. They tried every combination of tackle,lure,jig,scent,lure enhancement, anything...the very best never ever was not willing to try something new.

They went on the water with one intention no matter when it was....figure out a pattern to catch fish...always believe that something...somewhere....sometime was going to catch something. You just had to find what it was. They learned that some days the very most subtle thing made all the difference.

They would fish anywhere...the middle of grass beds...in the thickest timber, way up a creek,in the middle of the lake,in the creek beds,out of the creek beds,on ledges,off ledges,on humps,off humps,murky water.clear water,running water ,still water,pre spawn,post spawn,summer,winter,....they did not care...they only wanted to find the fish and then figure out how to make them bite. Some guys would try to settle on fewer things, but in the end the most adaptable guys have been the best overall day in and out.

Now not to take away from all the people that have shown me things,especially the locals at places.And people that I have fished with. But these guys showed me how to go on the water with the biggest bag of tricks and techniques and keep my eyes open.

I am not even a crappie fisherman...I am primarily a light tackle multi-species one pole fisherman.But in the process of applying this methodology I just kept catching more and more crappie,among other fish.

Multi pole fishing... especially on reservoirs... is really a different type of fishing and takes some specific technique and knowledge. As is those that target only one species. But even they can benefit some from these methods.

Billadelphia
03-11-2016, 08:13 PM
if you need 14 + rods to fish at one time you might as well just run a trot line with jigs and minnows on it how rediculous ,how fun is that NOT, thats not fishing.Time on the water and good people here on crappie.com with great tips and answers to any and all questions has improved my crappie fishing

Alphahawk
03-11-2016, 08:22 PM
When I started using Trout Magnets and 2# test line my catch rate went through the roof. The switch to 2# test line was the biggest improvement for me....although it does have a learning curve when you start using such light line.

Regards

ET Fish
03-11-2016, 09:00 PM
if you need 14 + rods to fish at one time you might as well just run a trot line with jigs and minnows on it how rediculous ,how fun is that NOT, thats not fishing.Time on the water and good people here on crappie.com with great tips and answers to any and all questions has improved my crappie fishing
Actually, that IS fishing. It may not be what you prefer, nor what I prefer, for that matter. However, some do, and the FISHING regulations support it, and limit it.

CrappiePappy
03-11-2016, 10:17 PM
Actually, that IS fishing. It may not be what you prefer, nor what I prefer, for that matter. However, some do, and the FISHING regulations support it, and limit it.

I agree. And I find the idea of multi-pole fishing being called "seining" or statements like "might as well be dragging a net" a little bit out of context. There's NO guarantee that you will catch more fish, simply because you have more poles being used. When I was a kid & fishing with my Grandparents ... in a boat, tied off to a tree, fishing minnows with 2-3 poles each, we were NEVER considered to not be "sportsman-like", seining, or dragging a net by those that chose to fish with only one pole. Other than the fact that we weren't "moving" across the water, what's the difference between our "still fishing" method and Spider Rigging, as far as the number of poles deployed ??

... cp :kewl

Crappie ciller
03-12-2016, 12:12 AM
Good electronics- game changer for me. Lots of good answers to this great thread!

SIcrappie
03-12-2016, 02:30 AM
For us it has been three major things... Firstly I would say that it started with taking a guided trip with a real guide! Kyle Schoenherr is our area pro, and our trip with him was amazing! He stuck with us through a rainy electrical storm start and still put us on em! That's a real deal local help! Fortunately for us we later learned that he and his partner Rodney Neuhaus are among the best go to you can get!

Secondly would be our relationship with Grizzly jig! I don't mean to infer that they rank second, because their seminars and professionalism has been a HUGE plus to our success! The access to knowledge and great service has been more than an outstanding pleasure for my family and I! I literally cannot recommend them or their services enough!

Furthermore, the whole staff at BnM deserves real recognition! Every single one of their offerings, from the equipment to their members have truly made a real measurable difference to our catch! Their products have never failed to deliver, and their chosen staff have proven to us to be top notch!

We we fish for fun, as well as for results and the above have been all equal contributors to our success in immeasurable ways!

NIMROD
03-12-2016, 05:53 PM
Building and placing cover in lakes I fish .:fish

GreenLine
03-13-2016, 07:57 AM
For me its been going with my dad and learning where to fish and when. I agree , time spent on the lake is great but time spent with someone that ALREADY knows the best holes puts you ahead in the game.

Cane Pole
03-13-2016, 08:01 AM
Like NIMROD, I build fish housing. You build, the will come.

Dollfly
03-13-2016, 08:48 AM
When I started keeping a record of my fishing trips, water temp, depth, bait used, weather conditions, where structure is located my catching rate went way way up. Then I found C.C and lurked for some time before joining. I read about everything from leadhead size to water color and back again. C.C members have really helped a lot by sharing information. I read books by Tim Huffman, Steve Wunderlee, Al Linder again my catch rate increased. I left my bass tackle at home because of temptation to go back to fishing for bass. THANKS C.C for all the tips!!!!!!

tenncrappie
03-13-2016, 09:09 AM
I troll 95% of time. Dux is correct.

tenncrappie
03-13-2016, 09:17 AM
I find multiple rod fishing just plain good sense. Why do we fish? To catch and bring home? To catch a limit? To relax? All of the above so what diff does it make if you fish with 8 poles and get your limit in 1 hr or fish with one and it takes you 3 hrs. Fish your one and I'll be back home mowing the lawn and cooking crappie.

Zippy
03-13-2016, 11:00 AM
Electronics without a doubt. A high end fishfinder and an ipilot controlled trolling motor. Just knowing the fish are there is a huge advantage over anyone fishing blind. The ipilot lets you keep moving and hitting new spots without the trouble and mess of pulling a wet anchor. How could seeing this on your screen not help you catch fish.

crappiemax
03-13-2016, 12:07 PM
I don't know that is just one event that made my catch go up significantly, it's more of a culmination of things.
Good electronics is always a plus but back in the day when we only had flashers we still caught fish. The flashers showed you the same info it just took a bit of interpreting to figure it out.
We first started using GPS when the hand held models came out. It sped things up a bit when try to find our spots but we found our spots even when we had to triangulate with shoreline cover.
Fishing poles neither quantity or length didn't matter if you weren't on fish.
Time on the water helped but if you didn't know what to look for you could stay out there for days and not do any good.

I think the single most thing that helped me was the internet. C.C was a huge part of my education and also watching shows like Midwest Crappie & the many YouTubes contributed much to my success. You may have to pick around the BS but if a guy just came on here and looked through some of the old threads he could gain a lifetime of knowledge in a few hours time.

JRB
03-13-2016, 12:15 PM
Getting good electronics, learning how to spider-rig (I had always just single poled it) from reading about it on Crappie.com and experimenting with different ways to rig my poles.

Zippy
03-13-2016, 01:50 PM
As far as electronics, having access to Rickie on crappie.com is a huge benefit

M R Dux
03-13-2016, 04:20 PM
As far as electronics, having access to Rickie on crappie.com is a huge benefit
You have no idea how lucky I feel to have him as a cousin. We bring different talents to the mix but his craftsmanship and knowledge are golden.

Cane Pole
03-13-2016, 05:43 PM
You have no idea how lucky I feel to have him as a cousin. We bring different talents to the mix but his craftsmanship and knowledge are golden.

I'm jealous.

chaunc
03-13-2016, 07:29 PM
Excuse me. You mean our cousin Rickie. His seminar a few years ago helped me tremendously understand my electronics. Been gettin better with them ever since. Thanks Cuzz.

Ketchn
03-14-2016, 07:08 AM
i would have to say diversity . every lake seems alot different and a big bag of tricks seems to keep me in the loop

lowe175
03-14-2016, 07:29 AM
Nothing but time on the water and lots of Gas. Also don't be afraid to try different things, don't just fish how your Dad taught you. There's a lot of information on this site and people that will take you out and show you how.

chaunc
03-14-2016, 09:30 AM
don't just fish how your Dad taught you

This is a very important statement. So much has changed since i started as a child, that if you dont make changes, you'll be left behind.

rnvinc
03-15-2016, 12:25 AM
Excuse me. You mean our cousin Rickie. His seminar a few years ago helped me tremendously understand my electronics. Been gettin better with them ever since. Thanks Cuzz.

You are quite welcome Cuzz'n ...

I always here in PM's and in the open forum ...

Rickie

shipahoy41
03-15-2016, 05:51 AM
I am again thinking I don't care for early spring fishing, lol. Both this year and last year, it has been tough to catch them. Actually, all year last year and the year before was not that great. Decades ago (I took a long hiatus), I used to catch good quantities of fish. I like to eat them sometimes, yes, but I just like to catch quantity of decent size fish. If you discovered anything that has really improved your catching, what was it? A certain lure, rig, lake, technique or just what? TIA!

Reading about techniques and lures on Crappie dot com and also putting CONFIDENCE into my tackle box.

fishervet
03-15-2016, 09:58 AM
Reading about techniques and lures on Crappie dot com and also putting CONFIDENCE into my tackle box.
CONFIDENCE....that's key.

smashdn
03-15-2016, 10:01 AM
#1 Building and placing my own stuff.
#2 Having electronics to mark other stuff.
#3 Having good enough electronics to get back on top of the stuff and see fish.
#4 Ultra sensitive All Star rod and using 6 lb braid with a fluorcarbon leader. I feel every bite.
#5 Black with chartreuse tail slider grubs and black slider heads.

gone fission
03-15-2016, 06:38 PM
retirement

Donald@CrappieLogic
03-15-2016, 07:12 PM
I think time on the water and boat control are key

catchNgrease
03-16-2016, 08:32 PM
Staying with the same fish and following their movements from Spring to fall/winter and back to spring. I am still learning the cold water stuff. And definitely all of the post and reports and the how to's on here. I think I know how to catch fish in Illinois now but I doubt I ever go fishing that far up. But I still learned.

chulai1968
03-16-2016, 08:42 PM
Remembering what does not work for a paticular condition.

nixon
03-17-2016, 04:50 PM
Networking with other crappie fisherman. If you have never gone to any crappie camps with the CDC guys...go, you will make friends and contacts that will help you from now on. And they are an absolute blast.

bakwater
03-20-2016, 01:48 AM
Confidence, optimism and believing I think are the most important factors to targeting any species of fish. Secondly the measuring of your success is just as important. Have realistic goals and expectations. Catching one crappie is a success and enough to build confidence to carry into the next fishing trip.

For me so far this year I've switched to bobby garland jigs and have had success on each trip and have found conditions and the way they're biting different each time also that they're not all deep or shallow at the same time. So I guess what I'm saying is try different things if ones not working and with confidence you will be successful.

Crestliner08
03-20-2016, 04:53 AM
I believe that switching from monofilament to 2# test Fireline Crystal w/fluoro leader, has dramatically increased my hookup ratio and bite detection. Other than that, being here on Crappie.com certainly has benefited me big time. :)

pab1981
03-21-2016, 11:02 PM
I think time on the water and boat control are key
Yep, couldn't agree more.

MidMsAngler
03-22-2016, 03:26 AM
Good electronics and finding good topo maps of my home lake. I have made a commitment to treat my home lake as a "new" lake this year. Growing up on a body of water is great but I realized that I was hindering myself by my knowledge. For many years I was diehard fishing but not thinking. Fishing for years without electronics I was lucky enough to stumble on fish, mostly around communinty known spots. So I developed a routine, I fished the same spots in the same order based on my average success at each spot. Regardless of the time of year or mood of the fish it was the same thing, and if I didn't catch fish, well then they must not be biting.

The Navionics App is stellar for my lake. I've spent a lot of down time studying the lake, the depth contours, the flats with deep water access. I immediatly crossed off any of my old community spots but tried to find out what made them so popular then tried to locate other areas with the same features. It's been a long process but a fun one, and it has paid off in dividends!

kel
03-22-2016, 05:52 AM
ELECTRONICS!!!!!!! Get the most expensive one you can afford. Get on youtube and learn your graph and how to use it. It doesn't matter which brand you get (they all are good now) JUST LEARN HOW TO USE IT. secondly, time on the water!!!
Kelly

kycreek
03-23-2016, 06:41 PM
Another vote for time on the water.