Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Input on sizing a basic jon boat setup...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Input on sizing a basic jon boat setup...

I have a Carolina Skiff JVX16 center console that I use for brackish marsh and calm bay fishing, so I'm covered there.

Right now, I'm looking to get a small, basic Jon boat to use on small lakes and bayous fishing for crappie and bream, or recreational crabbing in the marsh. Easy and fun fishing trips with my son is my goal. I don't want to use my 16' fiberglass boat for obvious reasons in these shallow and unknown waters.

Anyway, I'm looking for something really basic that I won't mind banging against weirs and beaching on shell shores.

This will be used for myself, 190lbs, and my 4 year old son 90% of the time. My wife, 125lbs, may join us occasionally. Gear is basic fishing equipment with an ice chest, pretty minimal.

Like I mentioned, I want to keep this setup simple and inexpensive. Academy has an Alumacraft 12-32 for $620 and a 15-40 for twice the price, $1250. I'll be adding a tiller, 9.8HP -20HP, depending on which Jon I get.

So, do you think a 12-32 with a 9.8HP will suffice on smooth water with 2 people? Or should I spend twice as much for the 15-40 and almost another grand for moving up to a 20HP motor?

Thanks for your opinions.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a 12-32 with a 9.9 and used it to fish the Delaware River for a couple of years. Had to be really careful and you didn't move around a lot. 2 people was max. I now have a 14-48 with a 20 hp and for my son and I it was fine on small water. Fished out of it for 3 years and now it is just a duck boat. I don't think I would buy new, seems to me you can pick up an old used Jon, motor and trailer for the price of a new. Plus a few extra accessories.
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I am very familiar with jon boats as I have a 10', just sold a 16' and fish quite a bit with a buddy in his 12'. My 10' is mainly for the ponds here on my property and are only good for one (1) person. The 12' we use in a larger watershed holding lake and it is OK for the two of us both 220# plus for a half day or so. The 16' (all open with two swivel seats) was great for 2 on the bigger bays we fish on Kentucky Lake. I think the 12' might work for the two of you but will be snug for when you try to fish three at a time. While the 12' will work most of the time, the 15' will work all the time albeit being a little harder to handle in the very small waters.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!
    Likes scrat, skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the previous post. I would look for something used! If you plan to trailer it, go with at least 14' - then you, your son, and your wife could use it at the same time. 12' is a bit small for all three (my opinion). 9.9 will struggle to get you on plane with a 14' boat, so I would suggest at least a 15 hp. The nice thing about used, you typically get a turn-key set up and are ready for the lake. Buying new means lots of prep work to get on the water. But, it also means you are not buying someone else's problems. I believe most used boats that are for sale is because the previous owner moved up to a bigger/faster boat (that's what I have done along with many of my friends!
    Likes scrat, skeetbum, riverbud55 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I'd worry more about width than length. 32" will be unstable, too much for a young child in my opinion.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944
    Likes scrat, skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

15 40 I'd say with no doubt
    Every day is a holiday and every meal is a picnic.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 14' jon boat bought at Academy. I just looked... it is a 14-32.

I have fished a lot of jon boats in my life. This one is a bit too unstable for my liking. It's not the length, it's the lack of width and lack of depth. I used to own a 12' jon boat and it was awesome... it was deeper than any I have ever seen. Somebody stole it, dang it.

Anyway, I fish okay out of my 12-32 but it's not ideal. Be careful when moving about! I would get one that has some depth and/or width.
    ~~~
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Do not let me say do not buy that small boat it will be to small unsafe you will not be happy with it you will wish later that you had not bought it it will cost you more in the long run when you see that it needs replaced by a bigger boat........ Been there done that....... You are welcome because you will thank me later if you don't waste your money on the small boat. Now save your money look around find what you really want nothing wrong with used rigs just check them out good ask to have a trial run with the used boat and motor if it's up to snuff people won't mind a trial run. Better to own something that you like than to sat and wish that you had something better. The safety of you and your family needs to be your #1 choice so do not skimp where safety is involved. Like others said above go for the bigger boat. That's my 2 cent worth and it won't cost you nothing.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

I have two, a 12' 36" that works on smaller bodies of water for two and a 16' 48" that is good for anywhere else I want to fish. I run just a trolling motor on the 12" and have a 25 Mercury on the 16"
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input. I'm now leaning towards something in the larger range, probably 16-48. Since I'll be trailering it regardless of size, I might as well go a little bigger.

Also, I am looking at the used market. There are ALOT of used boats on the market this year in my area. I live in Louisiana and work in the oilfield...it hasn't been a good year, but that's another story.

Thanks again for the help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast