Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nickajack and the wind....great day!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nickajack and the wind....great day!

I hit Nickajack today with wind at over 25 MPH. No way was a Trout Magnet going to get it done today. The crappie were not on the banks but staging far out in deeper water. So I tied on a new lure from Leland's Lures....a Midnight Blue, Thunder Hawk Micro Fry with a 3/16 ounce head and flung it as far as I could cast it with 2# test line. I was using a Yamaga Blanks Blue Current 6' 10" Jig Head Special TZ rod with a Daiwa Ignis Type R 2505H reel spooled with SOS 2# test line. I found the right depth at a count of 10 and it was game on. I caught over 70 crappie today with none being under 11 inches and nothing on the stringer under 12 inches......this is Nickajack....crappie usually run 12-15 inches with the occasional 16 incher. I had one TARP crappie at 14 inches and some at 13 and one more very close to 14 inches. I also caught over a dozen largemouth.....in the 12-14 inch range...and a 22 inch Flathead cat....what a battle that was! The rod really shined in the wind today. I felt everything even with a huge bow in the line as the wind was blowing left to right as I cast. Sometimes it was thump...many times you just felt something different about the rod. For those that know me it is out of character for me to be throwing anything much over 1/16 ounce....usually just using 1/64 ounce. Looking forward to throwing the Micro Fry a lot more....pretty awesome day. Came home with a limit of 15 very nice crappie and one good Flathead. The crappie will be on the banks there in the next couple of days. I stayed all day....I love fishing with the UL set up...life is good!

Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images                      
    Likes sooners08, slackline LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish alpha! What's the specs on the micro fry? I can't believe you didn't want to fight the wind in the boat :P

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaCrappieMan View Post
    Nice fish alpha! What's the specs on the micro fry? I can't believe you didn't want to fight the wind in the boat :P
    Should have put the boat in. I made wrong assumption as to where fish would be...but it worked out. Don't really have too many specs....it is 3 inches long and is pretty small in diameter. You can of course use any head you want with it.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you had a ball. Great post and pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Nice catch. Great fishing info. and pictures.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great day at the lake. I can only remember days like that right now, I gotta get out soon.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

What a day that was! Did you fish from the bank, I didn't pick up on that.

Is your state's limit 15/day? That is surprisingly low if so. But maybe it works!
    ~~~
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

looked n line for those Micro fry tails and no luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bee View Post
    looked n line for those Micro fry tails and no luck
    Here is the link to them. THUNDERHAWK - Specialty Lures Hope I'm not breaking any rules here. I just placed a large order last night as I only had a few. I don't know if they are in stores yet or not.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by livemusic View Post
    What a day that was! Did you fish from the bank, I didn't pick up on that.

Is your state's limit 15/day? That is surprisingly low if so. But maybe it works!
    Yeah fished from the bank. The limit at Nickajack is 15...but in some lakes in TN the limit is 30.

Regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast