Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: long lining question

Post Thanks / Like

Default long lining question

How do you know how deep your jig is going when long lining? I realize that increased weight causes the jig to go deeper and speed can also effect depth. But how in the heck can you tell how deep/shallow you are trolling? Thanks for any input.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by captdave View Post
    How do you know how deep your jig is going when long lining? I realize that increased weight causes the jig to go deeper and speed can also effect depth. But how in the heck can you tell how deep/shallow you are trolling? Thanks for any input.
    Line diameter will make a Big difference. Thicker the line the more water resistance and the higher the bait will rise. Length of line out will also make a difference. Thats why most serious long liners use line counter reels. Next is your electronics to maintain the correct speed and depth. Best advise I can give you is troll a beach area when no swimmers are there. Find the length of line,speed and what weight jigs will hit the bottom, then write it down. The bottom should be fairly level and no snags at the beach.. Also the trailers(grubs) will make a difference as to depth the jig will run per speed. Jig head designs also make a difference. A lot of time,trial and error, but it will pay off later for you.
    Likes captdave, Crestliner08, fishervet, NIMROD LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

As stated above dedicate a weekend to producing your own depth chart. This is the only way to know for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Just as Brushnjig stated,find a long flat with a constant depth and troll over it till your jig drags.I just use spinning reels and don't know anyone who uses line counters for pullin jigs but feel sure some of the professionals do..A good cast with a 1/16 oz jig with 4 lb line will run 10. -12 ft going around .8 to 1.0 .
    HEY,,WATCH THAT YELLOW ROD
    Likes trypman1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I do as brushnjigs said, but once I start bumping bottom with a jig, I mark the line at the first guide with a magic marker. That way you know how much line to let out for the depth you want. Beats buying line counter reels.

Post Thanks / Like

Another alternative to the line counter reels is to use the tab on the side of the spinning reel holder, that way you let the same line out each time. If you do that along with the speed/depth test as indicated above, you will have a good idea how deep that rig runs and more importantly, can duplicate it on each pass.
    A man remembered never dies.

Post Thanks / Like

Default long lining question

I use Power Pro Depth Hunter line. It changes color every 25' and has a mark every 5'. Just throw em out different lengths until you find the sweet spot and set all of your rods with the same amount of line out to that spot. I only count the line out where it touches the water. I use a very small barrel swivel with a bead above it and a clear leader when using planer boards.
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.
    Likes captdave LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRiverMarine View Post
    I use Power Pro Depth Hunter line. It changes color every 25' and has a mark every 5'. Just throw em out different lengths until you find the sweet spot and set all of your rods with the same amount of line out to that spot. I only count the line out where it touches the water. I use a very small barrel swivel with a bead above it and a clear leader when using planer boards.
    Great tip! Didn't know there was such a line. Thanks!!
    Likes BigRiverMarine LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use the 20/6. It's 20lb test with a 6lb diameter.
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen guys put a rubber band over the bail when they caught a fish....the they could constantly return the jig to the same depth
    Likes lcookie LIKED above post