Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spinning reel for Crappie suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spinning reel for Crappie suggestions?

I realized I have worn out all my panfish reels and I have lots of bare rods, and only one good rod/reel combo ready to fish.

I'm looking for ultra smooth reels to reel very slowly for crappie. I have found that many reels are ok to start, but get a 2 months to a year in and they start having rough places in the retrieve - which makes my rod tip shake and imitates a light bite - very irritating.

I have a Pflueger (don't remember which one - about 50$) for panfish that works ok but it's near the end of it's life.

Two years ago I bought Lews G2 speed spin (size 300) for a bass rod, really liked it and bought a size 200 for a crappie rod. Both of these seem to be holding up quite well. They are weighted nice and seem to be well built. Before I go buy some more of these....

Has anyone used the Wally Marshal Signature series spinning reels? Were they smooth? Did they hold up?

What other reel would you recommend?

Post Thanks / Like

Pflueger supreme
    Minnermatics Prostaff
    My wife lets me buy all the rods and reels I can hide.

Post Thanks / Like

Daiwa and Shimano make great reels.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you can go wrong with the new daiwas... They are so smooth and have a really good drag along with nice line lay. I bought a daiwa exceler last year that I trout fish with and just recently added a daiwa legalis to my reel collection (both 1500 series). Both reels are a dream to fish with and I prefer them over pfluegers and shimanos (stradics, saros, presidents, and supreme xts). I do enjoy all the reels I listed just prefer the daiwas.

Post Thanks / Like

Daiwa 1500's.....best reel for the buck in my opinion. I think the have surpassed shimano
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944
    Likes VaCrappieMan LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite are shimano sedonas. I have presidents and tica cetus which are also real nice. No need to spend more than 50 bucks. Got my sedonas on sale when new model came out. Darn good reel.

Post Thanks / Like

While most will not spend this much for a reel you will not wear either one of these out...and you want smooth.....it doesn't get much smoother than these. I own both the Daiwa and the Shimano. My upgrade in reels has taken many years to get to these...but after using them I won't use anything else. One certainly doesn't need these to catch fish...just another option.

DIGITAKA! - Japan Fishing Tackle Store
    DIGITAKA! - Japan Fishing Tackle Store

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Wow.....how many hours of use are you putting on those reels? I fish at least 2 or 3 times a week most seasons and have yet to see a reel "at the end of it's life". Proper reel maintenance and care with modern reels these days will extend the life expectancy to unlimited use. I still have reels from many, many years ago and have never had a problem with them.

Right now my favorite is the Pflueger President #6920. I have one with two full seasons of use and one with a single season and another brand new one for this season as well. No problems.....no worries! These are 8 BB bearing reels and even those reels that don't have that many bearings, maintained properly, are just as smooth as when first purchased them.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Pflueger President
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes sooners08, wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    Wow.....how many hours of use are you putting on those reels? I fish at least 2 or 3 times a week most seasons and have yet to see a reel "at the end of it's life". Proper reel maintenance and care with modern reels these days will extend the life expectancy to unlimited use. I still have reels from many, many years ago and have never had a problem with them.

Right now my favorite is the Pflueger President #6920. I have one with two full seasons of use and one with a single season and another brand new one for this season as well. No problems.....no worries! These are 8 BB bearing reels and even those reels that don't have that many bearings, maintained properly, are just as smooth as when first purchased them.
    I fish a lot.....5-6 days a week except for lightning, and hate fishing the cold when the wind is blowing. If it is sunny and yet 30 degrees I will fish if there is no wind in that kind of cold. I have one Daiwa Luvias out of Japan that has two years worth of constant fishing. I am an avid UL angler and I use the same reels for Gills...Smallies....trout...white bass. I have fished all the Pflueger...Shimano....Daiwa 1000-2000 reels sized reels on the US market. The only reels I ever had fail on me were the Pflueger Supreme XT's. They became very wobbly...screws constantly working loose. I never wore out any of the Shimano or Daiwa reels. Due to not so good eyes....hands not as agile as they once were, I had to start sending reels off for maintenance. Just wasn't worth it to send off a $59 Sedona 3 times a year at 25 bucks a pop for service...and Shimano informed me that as much as I fish I needed to service reels 3-4 times a year. So I kept moving up to better reels. I fished a Stradic constantly for four years. The only thing that was wrong with it was a very weak bail spring and it looked like crap from rock rash as at that time I fished from the bank and laying the reel down so much really scratched it up. I eventually had all my US market reels serviced and gave them away to youth who could not afford fishing gear. Very few folks will ever wear out any of the $59 reels and higher on the US market. I however do not like plastic bushings used in those reels. The Sahara by Shimano that was produced a few years back had a bushing in it that when it got wet it would swell....that earned that reel the nick name of "Shibindo". Shimano since revamped that reel. I realize I am not the norm in buying the JDM reels. Now bass guys buy them like candy...LOL. You are spot on about servicing the reels...any of them...cheap or expensive. If one doesn't maintain them one day they all will fail.

Regards

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast