Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Linners step inside

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long Linners step inside

Just curious as to the size jig heads that you prefer to use?
    Thank in advance for the replys

Post Thanks / Like

Just started to learn this technique late last year. So far we are having decent luck with 1/16th heads on #6 line. we use two jigs per line. My neighbor who is more familiar with the technique uses 1/16th heads and #4 line with two jigs per line.

Post Thanks / Like

I long line while trolling or drifting. We mainly use 1/16 oz. & 1/8 oz. heads pulling some sort of plastic, but more than likely a BGBS.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends strictly what depth the fish are staying. I use 1/24th oz if they are suspended very shallow to 1/4 oz roadrunner if I'm fishing deeper or running faster than the 0.8-1.2 mph I normally longline at. 1/16 and 1/8 are my go to sizes. I'll try to run them on a similar amount of line out to cover as much water as I can. I use strictly 6 pound Viscious when longlining. Rarely will I use 2 jigs per line.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I use 1/16 and 1/32 on each rod and vary speed to get the depth right on 6lb line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    It depends strictly what depth the fish are staying. I use 1/24th oz if they are suspended very shallow to 1/4 oz roadrunner if I'm fishing deeper or running faster than the 0.8-1.2 mph I normally longline at. 1/16 and 1/8 are my go to sizes. I'll try to run them on a similar amount of line out to cover as much water as I can. I use strictly 6 pound Viscious when longlining. Rarely will I use 2 jigs per line.
    I let the fish let me know by how deep they are but most of the time it's a 1/24th, 1/16th, or a 1/8th. Sometimes I run two jigs and I do use 4# test line.
    Set da hook

Post Thanks / Like

1/16 on 6lb + length of line out and speed lets me cover the water column. That said most my lakes are less than 10-12 feet deep
    A man remembered never dies.
    Likes slackline LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use 2- 1/16th or 1 - 1/8oz jigs. 6# Stren gold line.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot, I love Road Runners in those weights.

Post Thanks / Like

1/48-1/8 depending on how deep the fish are. I can use my 18ft rod out of the side and use double 1/48 jig in 2fow during the spawn. I always use double jigs. Same weight jigs, heaviest in the front, or heaviest in the back. Caught fish using all 3 methods. The more baits in the water, better chance at getting bit. Simulates a school of baitfish better. I'd use 3 if it wouldn't cause a complete mess of my rods when they get tangled. My most common set up is 1/16 & 1/32 behind it. I can modify my speed to change depth. I troll at .6 - 1.2mph. Second would be 1/24 & 1/32 behind it. Third would be double 1/24 jigs. I sometimes longline with floats in shallow water. Works great as long as you keep a 4ft spread between rods. Great technique when there's no wind and water is like glass. Lake Lanier is very clear and you need a good bit of distance between you and your baits to catch em longlining during the spawn. It's also fun to watch the floats go down when you get bit! Loved it when I was younger and still get excited when I see one disappear.
    Fishing is like pizza.......Even when it's not that good, it's still pretty good!
    Member of Lanier Crappie Anglers.com or net

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast