Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: chumming for crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default chumming for crappie

has anyone ever tried chumming for crappie ?

i had read that you can chum for crappie by using an old blender to turn your fish parts into a chum ? does this work or will you just be callin the kitty"s ??
    Supreme Leader of the Missouri Crappie Militia.........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KCBALLER
    has anyone ever tried chumming for crappie ?

i had read that you can chum for crappie by using an old blender to turn your fish parts into a chum ? does this work or will you just be callin the kitty"s ??
    I don't know about the crappie, but you can bet the kitty's will be one their way, LOL!

I have heard people use cornmeal, rice, Alfalfa, cotton seed cake and other things. However I wouldn't put the one that hold together on the bottom or the kitty's will be coming again. I have used cornmeal and cotton seed cake in a container with holes and just let it down so far. This I would suspect would just be a summer time thing for the most part.

Oh and almost forgot to say I would not try it at all unless I was using minnows because in the day time I use jig only in the summer and you would move around more with jigs that minnows. The only time I use minnows at all is at night in the summer and then I have a jig on the bottom and the minnow up higher. Even then the bigger crappie hit the jig.
    Last edited by skiptomylu; 01-30-2007 at 02:18 PM.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

an old meat grinder works well for grinding up the fish scraps, they are cheap at garage sales.

john b.

Post Thanks / Like

The only way I have done it is to poke holes in a can of dog food or put some in an orange bag but this is just to get baitfish to hang around it so the bigger fish will come feed on it but chances are they are going to be where you would have to put the bait anyway I just like to think it holds more longer than usual JMO
    MY Daughter My Sailor My Hero
    God bless Them All

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

check out this website. www.kastaway.com he sells chum and it works great for panfish and catfish. They're called bait cubes.
    Last edited by chaunc; 01-30-2007 at 08:30 PM.

NIMROD is online now Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

We use sweet feed (horse and mule feed pellets ). If you put out too much the catfish will take over. It draws the baitfish ,but cats like it too. After the Catfish spawn we pour it out on structure a 50# sack at a time. We wear them whiskers out.:D
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs