Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling Motors

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Motors

I have a question for you guys/gals. What are the advantages in a 24 volt verse a 12 volt trolling motor. Or what is the advantages in a 12 verse a 24 or 36 volt. I am sure this is elementary to most of you but I really have no idea. Thanks for the info.
    The Fraz

Post Thanks / Like

One of the biggest advantages of a 24 or a 36 volt over a 12 volt motor is simply more pounds of thrust.Alot of it depends on the way you'll use your trolling motor,how often, and how big your rig is.You wouldn't want to put a 12 volt motor on say a 20 foot boat.You'd probably wouldnt have enough power to fish all day, or if you add any wind or current, it wouldnt be effective.We'll generally install 12 volt motors on 16 foot and smaller boats.17 footers your'e starting to get more towards a 24 volt system, if its a lighter one and you wont use it very often a 12 volt might suffice.Anything over 18 foot I seriously recommend a 24 volt system and 19 foot and larger either a 24volt or for a heavy user a 36 volt.Hope this helps you out.PJ

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The higher the voltage the less current required to generate the same amount of power. Therefore your batteries will last longer before recharging. You should still recharge immediately after use (within 24 hrs).
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va