Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: pushing cranks with bgjp?

Post Thanks / Like

Default pushing cranks with bgjp?

Has anyone pushed crankbaits with the original B&M Bucks Graphite Jig Poles? I already have several and want to try pushing cranks but I'm afraid they would be too limber. I don't want to go out and buy new long poles if I'm not going to like it. Do you think they would work just to start out?

Post Thanks / Like

I would think the weight plus the crank bait would be too much for the tips, but I have never tried it.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have them and tried it, for about 30 seconds. They aren't built for much more than 1/2 oz. I bought some heavier Crappie maxx in 11', don't know why I didn't go with 12, and they do well with 2oz. I also use some 7' BC rods and low end low profile BC reels on all of them and push cranks, spinnerbaits, and jigs with no issues. It's a ton of fun.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I've done it with my BnM 12 footers with 3oz weights you lose about two feet in length because of how much they bow They are tough. I would get the pinnacle if I was going to do it a lot or some other rod that's stiffer I have southern crappie rods also you could tow a boat with them but also to limber for pushing

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I think too many folks think you have to push the same cranks you would pull. I beg to differ. With smaller weights one can push baits like rapalas, rattle traps, shallow runner cranks and very small baits due to the fact you can control your depth of the bait with the weights. I also think way too much emphasis is placed on getting a bait to the deepest depths possible. I have had some of my best crank bait catches in recent years on shallow to medium runner cranks that most would never consider pulling.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes Buckie02 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Okay sounds like I could maybe push some of the arkie crappie cranks. I'll give it a try.
    Likes Eagle 1, ArkieJigs LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have done well pushing the small rattle traps.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes Buckie02 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a guy on Sardis a couple summers ago pushing jigs with bgjp poles and he was using so much weight the poles were nearly doubled over, he said he and his father gave up using minnows years ago and they still get a limit or close to it almost every time out.

Don't know if cranks with their action and resistance from the lip would stress the rods more than jigs would when using big weights, but the guy I ran into on the lake swore by pushing jigs using big weights.
    I got 350 heads on a 305 engine.
    I get 6 miles to the gallon.
    I aint got no good intentions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by criddy View Post
    Okay sounds like I could maybe push some of the arkie crappie cranks. I'll give it a try.
    You may want to go head and call B&M and get a couple of tips on the way. All its going to take is one trotline, 6# catfish or Gar and your done for the day unless you go prepared. BGJP's are great poles when used properly but expensive when not.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk 2
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Likes Erin Brewer, chulai1968 LIKED above post