Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spinning rod recommdations?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spinning rod recommdations?

I fish out of my kayak for perch and get crappie occasionally too. For this season, I want to upgrade from my 5' ultralight setup (no name rod + Shakespeare reel) I have decided to go with a reel like the pfluger president but I am stumped on the rod. The specs I am looking for are 6', ultralight, fast action (stiff tip) and would work well on 1-4 lb line / max lure = 1/8. Budget wise, I was looking to stay around $50 or under. This setup will be used primarily for jigs and jig spinners. May also use it with some trout magnets on my local stream. Any advice?

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of people talk about the high dollar rods but I like the Shakespere Excurtion rods at Wally World for 18.97 . I would put them up against the expencive ones and if you do break it, oh well, time for another and you don't break the bank or pi*# off the wife.
    Likes sooners08, skeetbum LIKED above post

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The Shakespeare ugly stick are an excellent rod for the money.

Post Thanks / Like

Bass Pro Microlite

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the ultra lights from B n' M rods. Great crappie rods at a very reasonable price. Also, look through the Grizzly Jig Company's web site. Plenty there as well, along with best prices around.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 6' crappiemax UL combo from bps and love it. Very smooth reel for the price. But it does seem to have a little more parabolic bend than a true fast action rod.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a big fan of St. Croix rods. I think their entry series is named "Triumph" and can be found for between $ 80 - $100. Their "Premier" series is a level up but made in the USA and a more sensitive higher quality rod for not much more money than the "Triumph" series. A little more than your listed budget but if you end up considering spending more I would add them to your short list to consider.

Post Thanks / Like

Walmart is selling some good feeling rods from Duck Dynasty. I haven't bought one, but I really like them.

Post Thanks / Like

Berkley Cherrywood rods are excellent and sell locally for @ $20.
    Likes Cardsfan55 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I second the Berkley Cherrywoods and the Duck Dynasty rods ( made by B n M if I remember correctly). Both are cheap and will cast a 1/16oz or smaller jig well with 4-6 lb mono. I use both for casting rods and have been pleased with them.
    Likes Cardsfan55 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast