Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hundreds of Slabs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hundreds of Slabs

Went to a covered Marina today, and I saw about 200 slab crappie in the water about 6ft down. Tried minnows and none would take it. Have seen this before but did catch 5. I'm going to video them with a Acua View soon so everyone can see this. Does anyone have any ideas how I can catch them. By the way this marina is on Clarks Hills.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

Would this have been in the Raysville area? It's the only one I can think of.....Couldn't get them to take a small jig?

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

that is crappie for you . that is why people see them on a depthfinderand dont git a bite. they dont beleve it is fish .they are like anything else they arenot hungray. probabley have went on a feeding frenzy and just resting . like we eate and go to our favorit chair and just relax.papasage
    retired and now i will always fish

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

2 words cast net. :rolleyes:

J/K

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

this was on the main lake near the damm.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Hundreds Of Slabs

Hello Drill Instructer, If you could see them, They could see you also and I have a hunch that is the reason you could not catch them, The only way around that would be to fish it from a boat and back off a bit and cast to them. Sounds like a good challenge to me. However, I hope you work it out. Let us know. Good luck! Jimmy S.

Post Thanks / Like

we was set up anchored tightling on wylie one night, and using lighted corks thrown next to the bank. while we was set up, we caught a lot of fish on the corks and before the night was over we had hung and broke off all the lighted corks we had on brush or limbs next to the bank so when we pulled anchors to leave we used the electric to pull over to the bank to collect the lighted corks we lost. when we got into the shallow water right at the bank, a flashlight shined in the water showed hundreds of slab crappie right next to the bank milling about in water about a foot deep. we dint try to catch any, just watched em a bit and collected our corks and left. It was fassinating to see that many fish in such a small area and in that shallow water. this was about two months ago when this happend. the water was a lot warmer then. there was a lot of bank running shad present so im assuming they was in there feeding on the shad.
    Last edited by rango; 01-15-2005 at 08:17 AM.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Slabs-Rango

Hello Rango! Welcome to Georgia Crappie.Com. Thanks for sharing that experance with us. I enjoyed it. I have always wondered how well the lighted corks worked, Sounds like they work real well.You are a good sportsman, You could have backed off and caught a lot more fish, But you had what you needed and left them for the next time. My hats off to you. Good fishing Stay in touch, Will visit you on the South Carolina board. Good Luck! JimmyS.

Post Thanks / Like

hey Jimmy.
    I used to think the lighted corks was something someone come up with to get a mans money till i watched em in action one night last winter, now im a beleiver in em. most nights now, when we put out our tight lines, well throw out some lighted corks away from the boat in the dark water. thill makes one thats lit and theres another one we use that seems to be the favorite with my gang. I cant recall the name of it, but we been gettin em at wal mart. they are not round but sorta bullet shaped with a stem at the top about a inch long. they come in red and yellow. this same company also makes the lit corks in round configuration to, but what i like about the bullet shaped ones is it lays flat till you get a bite and then it stands up. its real neat to see in action. you can rig it to be slip style or fixed, but the way we fish em is set the cork about two ft above the bait, fixed, and use a #2 eagle claw gold with no shot on the line and throw it out and haul em in ( hopefully). no kidding tho, some nights most of the action we have comes on the corks. that cork is called the night bobby. if you can find any,, give em a try.. i think yoll like what it will do for your night catch
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Night Corks- Rango

Hey Rango, Thanks for the info. on the night bobbers. You bet I wi;; give them a try as soon as I can get someone to drive me to wall mart. I can't drive yet for another week, Had knee replacement surgery Dec. 20. Doing well, Rareing to go fishing. Thanks again , Good Fishing and Gods Blessings Your friend, Jimmy S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast